Are peaceful protests waste of time?

ex-wirecutter 14:13 26 Mar 2008

Are peaceful protests a waste of time ,or sending in petitions for that matter ?? The government of the day , whatever colour , do what they want anyway.

Mr Mistoffelees 14:55 26 Mar 2008

One of the key benefits of living in a democracy is the right to vote-out a government you are not happy with.

tullie 15:06 26 Mar 2008

A major flaw is that they are all as bad as each other

anchor 15:54 26 Mar 2008

Governments seem to ignore petitions or protests.

A recent example was the petition to scrap the plans for road pricing. According to reports, 1.27 million signed this on-line.

However, this appears to have been disregarded, and plans are going ahead.

Asked on the BBC if such petitions would inform policy making, Cabinet minister Ruth Kelly said: "I think it's a good test of public opinion on a particular issue, but what they don't judge is the overall terms of the debate, the choices that politicians have to make in a representative democracy."

In other words, do as we say, not as you want; is this real democracy?.

wee eddie 17:06 26 Mar 2008

1,270,000 although a large number, is a very small percentage of the Population.

The Democracy part is that we decide who will make the decisions for us ~ Not the decisions that they make.

Forum Editor 18:11 26 Mar 2008

aren't a waste of time - they're an expression of people's feelings, and for every person who is keen enough to take part there are probably quite a lot more who feel the same way, but just don't want to march in the streets, or whatever.

It would be a very silly politician who ignored public demonstrations completely.

octal 19:28 26 Mar 2008

"In other words, do as we say, not as you want; is this real democracy?."

Yes it is, if you don't like the present regime you vote them out, that more than can be done in a lot of countries.

I feel on-line petitions are sometimes a waste of time because some of them I've seen are inaccurate, which tends to dumb down the petitions value somewhat.

Bingalau 19:50 26 Mar 2008

If we vote out the present regime who is there to fill the void? Just more of the same calibre of course.. Not much of a choice is there?

lofty29 20:03 26 Mar 2008

Peaceful protests unless they are really en-masse, are a waste of time except posssibly at election time. If any government is really commited to a certain course of action it will take it regardless.

laurie53 20:22 26 Mar 2008

Mahatma Ghandi would not agree.

spuds 00:06 27 Mar 2008

Having been in one or two peaceful and non-peaceful protest, I can now look back and say "What a nice day out that was". Did they solve any issues, I doubt it very much.

And as for sending or contributing to on-line petitions, its a bit like listening with a large wad of cotton wool in your ears.It didn't stop two of our local well used post offices being closed, and the friendly staff being made redundant.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?