Are Labour as doomed as was suggested

Ungus 08:30 27 May 2017

Could it be that the nasty party isnt as secure in England and Wales as reported. Could this be a Corbyn bounce??

morddwyd 08:47 27 May 2017

They've been saying the same about the Lib Dems and their predecessors the Liberal party, as long as I can remember (1945) but they still hang on.

Mind you.Labour's chances of ever forming a government are just about the same as the Lib Dems!

Cymro. 11:05 27 May 2017

I think this "Labour Bounce" is just wishful thinking on the part of some. They may well do better than was first forecast but I see no way they are going to beat the Tories. But a weak opposition is not a good thing for democracy so the better they do the better in the long run it will be for us all.

Quickbeam 14:18 27 May 2017

Anything that pegs the government majority below 50 is good for democracy.

Forum Editor 17:00 28 May 2017

Quickbeam

The government's majority is determined by democracy, whether it's above or below 50 seats. What's good for democracy is that it is allowed to operate. What follows is up to the people who bother to exercise their right to vote.

alanrwood 17:16 28 May 2017

FE. Sorry but not completely. Other factors come into play ie domography, Constituency boundaries and where they are drawn. size of constituency population etc. I appreciate that there is no such thing as a perfect democracy particularly under a first past the post system.. As I remember no government has been elected by a majority of the population for a very long time and certainly there have been ncases of the losing party actually receiving more votes than the winning party.

rickf 17:19 28 May 2017

Labour doomed?? Not at all. Let me let you into a secret. Labour will win on the day.

morddwyd 19:53 28 May 2017

Alanwood is right, democracy is by no means perfect, as John Major (a |Remainer) pit it at the time of the referendum. "The tyranny of the majority."

British democracy is such that it is entirely English democracy as they have more voters than anybody else.

Not perfect, but the best we hace!

Govan1x 20:00 28 May 2017

We will have to wait and see how Labour get on. You never know they might win all there seats back from the SNP.

Forum Editor 22:56 28 May 2017

"Alanwood is right, democracy is by no means perfect"

Democracy is perfect in theory, it's far and away the most perfect system ever envisaged. It's in the execution of it that things can go slightly wrong.

What isn't perfect is the way that constituency populations allow for anomalies. That isn't anything with democracy being imperfect. I's a legacy from the distant past, and it certainly doesn't follow that if a government has less than a 50 seat majority it is 'good for democracy' as Quickbeam claimed.

oresome 09:36 29 May 2017

What would be good for democracy is a population that is engaged with the political issues and voted, particularly the young.

It would be nice if the politicians could have grown up discussions on the issues facing the country and the realistic options available to us which are both affordable and won't damage our competiveness.

I live in hope, but will probably die in despair.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review

How to draw a mandala

iPhone X review

Les meilleures enceintes Bluetooth à moins de 150 euros