Are ASBO's......

spuds 10:00 12 Sep 2006

and Community Service Orders a deterrent. Do they really work?

One judge as gone on record, stating that he will no longer issue Asbo's click here or Community Service Orders because he regards that they do not work. The same thing may also apply to certain individuals, who regard 'tagging' as a badge of honour.And again, perhaps this is defeating the object of correction!.

What's your views and opinions!.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:49 12 Sep 2006

having worked on a part time basis for the Youth Offending Team I can assure all that ASBOs are the laughing stock of the junior members of society. Anyone who thinks that they make any difference or are a deterrent is completely bonkers or a social worker. It is the most mis-conceived idea ever with not one single saving grace.

G

€dstowe 11:02 12 Sep 2006

ASBO's are a Badge of Office for a lot of today's wayward youth - the more ASBO's you have, the higher your rank in your social group.

One of the biggest mistakes in criminal deterents of modern times.

BigRik 17:30 12 Sep 2006

I fear that because of our laughable judicial system, there are no criminal deterants. Criminals have nothing or very little to fear.

The only way I see the law at work is that if "something" burgles my home, tries to steal/vandalise my car or other property or puts my family in harms way, and I injure that "something", I have alot to answer for.

kinger 20:04 12 Sep 2006

I work in a public place where two youngsters in particular were terrorising the town centre with their bad behavior.

Both now have been ASBO'd and we haven't seen them in almost a year.

In this case, it's worked.

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:00 12 Sep 2006

'In this case, it's worked'...they must have passed away then or this is a unique example in my experience. I'll bet on exiting this mortal coil though.

G

Knikerbeine 23:02 12 Sep 2006

"...they must have passed away then or this is a unique example in my experience. I'll bet on exiting this mortal coil though."

More than likely thay have advanced to full time imprisonment I suspect.

spuds 13:41 13 Sep 2006

There's a no win situation, at least not for the victims. Appears that trade unions are complaining, that making people work on a community scheme, could be taking work from their members or job seeking public. Then we have other agencies, that are suggesting Health and Safety should be a top priority to the selected tasks laid before the offender's. I wonder if some of the offender's, considered Health and Safety when committing some of their bold deeds?.

Shooting for the moon 22:28 15 Sep 2006

Gandalf:
"having worked on a part time basis for the Youth Offending Team I can assure all that ASBOs are the laughing stock of the junior members of society. Anyone who thinks that they make any difference or are a deterrent is completely bonkers or a social worker. It is the most mis-conceived idea ever with not one single saving grace."

As a social worker for over 30 Years in the various fields of Child Care, Mental Health and Drug and Alcohol Services I am proud of the success I have had in my career. I have not necessarily agreed with the legislation that the various governments have introduced over the years but nevertheless have been required to act within the law. Success comes in many forms, from removing children from violent parents, to helping drug addicted children, young people and adults, and to providing succour to families who are tormented by the mental illness of their children or parents. I live in an area of the North East of England where ASBOS are rigidly enforced and the results are positive; albeit sometimes when the miscreants are jailed for not complying with the order. It is unlikely that they would be removed from society otherwise. I support ASBOS. So 'wise one' pray tell me - why am I bonkers?

User-178362 17:47 16 Sep 2006

I would like to see publics flogging. This will hurt their pride and humiliate them. Every one would see them for what they are. As things are they are feared by some and admired by others. Also one or two death sentences, for people like Fred West and the school caretaker who killed Holly and Jessica. You might think this a step too far, but it wouldn't take many for it to put an end to most of the crimes. I'm not saying it will completely stop but it would go along way. Our country would be far richer in more ways then one if we put a stop to these people who cheat, rob and murder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?