AOL IP Nightmare

Tribal-Wolf 18:08 05 Jun 2007

I'm amazed at the fact AOL likes to brag about its safety measures for websurfing. I moderate a large chatroom and the biggest problem we have is AOL users. This is because the proxy servers they use for their customers to connect cant be banned as such, all the user does is log back on with a totally different ip. Now this is becoming more and more common knowledge so the perverts are becoming a bigger threat than ever to our younger users. Most of the other isp's we can ban for varying lengths of time but AOL is just impossible. I agree that parents are responsible for children using these sites but AOL are making it far to easy for people who want to prey on minors or in fact anyone who is vunerable. As someone who does a voluntary job trying to make it a safer place for people to chat I am disappointed such a large company is letting so many people down.

Forum Editor 18:10 05 Jun 2007

all ISPs are allocating IP addresses dynamically, so all anyone has to do is log out, disconnect from the internet, wait a while and then connect and log back in again?

Tribal-Wolf 18:14 05 Jun 2007

Most of them we can do a region ban using 'wildcards' which will last a short while and we have a good idea where they are from. We dont allow proxies as a rule and ban them when we see them but we have a few people who know the AOL situation who are disrupting the whole site and bragging that nothing can be done.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?