Anyone work in / familiar with corporate payroll??

andy625 09:47 07 Dec 2007

If our company payday is the 21st of the month, and we're paid by BACS, what is the shortest time before payday that the company could put a block on my pay going out?

ie If I walked out on the 15th or 16th for example is it too late for them to stop my pay going into my bank, or cuold they still stop it?

anskyber 10:15 07 Dec 2007

Do I understand you correctly, you are looking to receive a payment for work you have not undertaken and what's more plan such a fraud?

Or have I misunderstood?

andy625 10:26 07 Dec 2007

Not quite. I have handed in my notice, and I am supposed to leave on the Fri 21st. I want to leave on the 14th, 1 week early, but have been told that I can't (I'm officialy on 4 week notice period which takes me up to the 21st).

I'd like to start my new job 1 week before xmas so that I get paid for the bank holidays. (I have enough holiday pay due from my current employer to cover the 3 days inbetween xmas and new year).

Payday is on the 21st, so I was considering walking out on the 14th, and if I got my full months money on the 22nd, send them a cheque back for the final week that I didn't work.

Unless anyone has a better plan??

Quickbeam 10:37 07 Dec 2007

You didn't plan ahead... best not to have your new employer thinking you will be a devious employee and write off the lost bank holiday pay as what is your mis-judgment of timing.

andy625 10:42 07 Dec 2007

My new employer would be happy for me to start tomorrow. I have worked there before - they know what I am like.

In my experience you cannot "time" when you anticipate getting a job offer.

Quickbeam 10:46 07 Dec 2007

Then I would expect them to stand the holiday pay and any other contractual losses if they want you asap.

beeuuem 10:46 07 Dec 2007

Obviously we don't know, or need to know, why you are leaving. If you are going on reasonably amicable terms with the employer why not ask to leave a week early? Quite often, if you are leaving, the employer is happy to let you go as, rightly or wrongly, they feel that you aren't going to be productive during the notice period.

wee eddie 10:49 07 Dec 2007

If you do leave your previous employment in the manner that you are suggesting you may alert your new Employer to a loyalty issue that may change their view of you.

While I doubt that it would change the day to day issues at all, but if a promotion were being discussed it might easily be considered.

josie mayhem 10:55 07 Dec 2007

On the BASC system the money is transfered into your account between midnight (20th) and 1 oclock in the morning ((21st) depending the time of year... Add to one large national company I worked for we had to get our over-time in by the 21st and we got paid on the 25th...

If you go on the 14th I should inagine they will have more than plenty of time to pull your transfer...

Quickbeam 10:56 07 Dec 2007

I agree with beeuuem's point. I've had some fairly tempestuous run-ins with directors, but I've always left amicably...

The old chestnut ' don't burn your bridges behind you' is a very wise phrase.

andy625 11:05 07 Dec 2007

Thanks for all the replies. I am leaving amicably. The job I'm "working" on has a deadline just after I leave, and the boss wants me for as long as possible. My supervisor however for political reasons is doing most of the work himself leaving me with nothing to do for a lot of the time. Hence I can't see what difference it would make if I were here or not.

I've worked here before, about 6 yrs ago, and was made redundant last time, so I don't hold any loyalty.

I asked 2 weeks ago if I could leave today, but thought (wrongly) they may compromise on next Friday. My new employer wouldn't necessarily need to know the details of how I left early. I've already told them that I am trying to get out early.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017