anyone use a carpet steamer?

kidsis 14:05 13 Jan 2012

hi guys, I wondered if anyone could recommend a carpet steamer. Up til now we have used a cylinder style steamer with various attachments, but I think I would now prefer one shaped more like an upright vacuum cleaner. If anyone uses one and can recommend a make I would be grateful. Also, is it possible to get a vacuum cleaner cum steamer or not?

onthelimit1 14:50 13 Jan 2012

The only similar device I've seen is a carpet CLEANER. This sends warm cleaning fluid down onto the carpet through a vaccuum cleaner like nozzle. It's then sucked up into the machine and dumped in a waste tank. results in my home have been very good (I hired it from a local rental shop).

interzone55 15:46 13 Jan 2012

As you've used one before I would imagine you know what you're doing.

For other I'll regale you with a quick story as a warning to be careful when steaming, especially if you have a very big carpet that's stitched from two sections

Many moons ago we had an almost full refit in a shop I was managing. They changed all the fittings, but the budget didn't stretch to new carpet, so the night before the big reopening, with the mayor and company MD in attendance, the shop fitters hired a carpet steamer to bring the grubby carpets up to scratch.

At 2am everything was sparkly clean, so we wall went home for a couple of hours shut eye.

At 8am I unlocked the doors, and to my horror the two halves of carpet were about three inches apart. Over enthusiastic steaming had shrunk the carpet and ripped it apart at the seams.

Our area manager had a very quick brain wave and all the staff, and a few boyfriends roped in for the morning, stood in a line over the gap in the carpet whilst the dignitaries made their way through the shop.

For the next three years until Argos bought the unit, we had a nice heavy rubber strip across the floor covering the gap...

kidsis 14:51 14 Jan 2012

alan, that's a great story and a very inventive way of getting through the mishap temporarily. Sounds like the carpet steamer was an industrial one, but it's good to warn of the things that can happen. I need three eyes and four hands to keep the cat out of the way, so she is shut away upstairs while I am working downstairs. On the limit - thanks, but it is a steamer we need.

brindly 12:35 15 Jan 2012

We have both type of carpet cleaner, one is a small yellow steamer that is quite powerfull but I haven't used it for carpets. The one I use is a VAX which uses water and cleaning fluid used in the same way an upright vac. The thing you have to avoid is overdoing the water side of the operation. I find the Vax is very good, i once spilled a tin of emulsion paint on the bedroom carpet, i quickly fetched the Vax and just kept going over the area until it was clean, it did the job. Hope that is of some help. You know you can rent these machines from HomeBase etc

Condom 02:15 16 Jan 2012

We used to have a VAX carpet cleaner which you could also use as a normal vacuum and it did both jobs reasonably well. I don't know if the current models are capable of both modes of working.

We now have an H20 Ultra steam mop which is great on tile and wood flooring but I'm not so sure about carpets. Yes it certainly removed dirt as the white pads clearly show this but it is not that great in removing stains unless you get to them very quickly. However it is ideal for many other jobs especially when using in hand held mode and I keep finding other things for it to do like wallpaper removal. I kid you not it is much better than any hired wallpaper removal machine I have hired.

Condom 02:15 16 Jan 2012

We used to have a VAX carpet cleaner which you could also use as a normal vacuum and it did both jobs reasonably well. I don't know if the current models are capable of both modes of working.

We now have an H20 Ultra steam mop which is great on tile and wood flooring but I'm not so sure about carpets. Yes it certainly removed dirt as the white pads clearly show this but it is not that great in removing stains unless you get to them very quickly. However it is ideal for many other jobs especially when using in hand held mode and I keep finding other things for it to do like wallpaper removal. I kid you not it is much better than any hired wallpaper removal machine I have hired.

kidsis 14:41 17 Jan 2012

hi, thanks for the info re the VAX carpet cleaner. We will have a look when we go out to see what's available locally.

Woolwell 16:31 17 Jan 2012

I use a Bissell carpet cleaner quite successfully. It isn't steam. You have to be careful not to go over the same area too much as it will make the area too wet. With dogs in the house it is an essential piece of kit.

kidsis 14:51 10 Feb 2012

hi, we finally found a steamer - karcher. Fairly small, but does what I want. It did a good job on first use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?