Anyone thinking of downshifting soon?

TOPCAT® 00:00 27 Apr 2006

For a moment I thought we were on about gearboxes but no, apparently it is National Downshifting Week where some high-flyers are giving/have given up the city-life stress and "opted to sacrifice their well-paid, high-octane lifestyles for a simpler, quieter life."

click here

I'm sure the FE is just waiting for that day 'cos his good lady promised him faithfully to give his credit cards back!! :o)) TC.

VoG II 08:44 27 Apr 2006

I wish...

...not that I'm a city type, highflyer or anything like that.

rmcqua 10:56 27 Apr 2006

Did it 2 years ago. Highly recommended, though I must admit there are one or two aspects of the old job that I miss. The stress, however, is not one of them. I would (and have) paid a lot to be rid of it!

PurplePenny 10:57 27 Apr 2006

How nice to able to afford to downshift.

rmcqua 14:06 27 Apr 2006

I afforded it by reducing my standard of living considerably. I considered it necessary for my own self-preservation!

namtas 14:21 27 Apr 2006

I downshifted three years ago, when I retired. Mind I an not sure my wife thinks so.

spuds 16:31 27 Apr 2006

Downshifted a few times, the last was the 'old codgers'association (retirement), where you cut the spending to suit ;o)

oresome 18:38 27 Apr 2006

I've downsized involuntarily.

Not pleasant when in your fifties, as this is the time when the kids are leaving home, the mortgage is paid off and you would start to accrue some savings for retirement.

Now work more hours with less holidays for a third of the pay and no big company benefits.

Hardly the good life!

Arthur Scrimshaw 20:41 27 Apr 2006

again not voluntarily - due to an illness which took me 4 years to get back on my feet.
After being Operations Director of a large manufacturing company for 10 years, to doing nothing was a shock to the system, but after a few false starts, I now work for a well known charity helping people with Disabilities back into work - much more rewarding, much less pressure, much less money!
If nothing, it taught me some valuable lessons about what's really important in life, and how much of my family growing up I had missed out on through being away. I've had a chance to put that right - and I'm happier now than I've been for a long time.

ade.h 21:01 27 Apr 2006

I'm still trying to upshift!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?