Anyone see about the new pictures of space

Totally-braindead 15:36 03 Sep 2007

Just saw the news today about a new chip that will allow terrestrial based telescopes produce a better image than even the hubble. Perhaps the £2 billion the hubble cost was wasted, but them whos to know that something like this would be invented.
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:43 03 Sep 2007

The telescope mirror is distorted to compensate for the distortion produced by our atmosphere.

Been used for sometime, see beginners guide to the COSMOS BBC1 Tuesday nights.

The new chip just does a better job of atmosphereic correction.

Cost of a new telescope using the system is approx one tenth of Hubble.

sunny staines 15:43 03 Sep 2007

pics are big improvement when you consider how far away the objects are

amonra 16:27 03 Sep 2007

The last lot of pics of earth taken from the space station were ruined, Somebody moved !

Earthsea 16:39 03 Sep 2007

The new chips are okay, but think I'll wait for the new JWST telescope I've ordered click here

Forum Editor 17:37 03 Sep 2007

Let me know how you get on with it, I fancy one in the garden.

jack 19:56 03 Sep 2007

I may be considered an old cynic but---
When we look at those wonderful images from Hubble or indeed perhaps in time from this new generation- we are looking at -now matter how one reads them - someones interpretations of data and editing/processing of the same according to the imagination of the guys doing it.
Yes - Artists impressions - Now I appreciate that past Art has been remarkably accurate when the probes got close to to Saturn/Jupiter etc.,or were the image editors simply being influenced by that past Art?
Just musing you understand

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?