anyone been kicked by a .44 or larger

lofty29 14:52 16 Jun 2009

Just having a brown moment and remembering back to my army cadet days, the largest thing I fired was a lee-enfield .303 and after a day on the ranges my shoulder really ached, then thinking that in the "old west" the pistols and rifles were .44/40 caliber they must have really given a belt, any of you guys any experience, brown bess muskets would also do for the more senior members.

peter99co 14:55 16 Jun 2009

Would a shoulder launched missile count?

Brumas 14:59 16 Jun 2009

I suspect Bingalau still has callouses on his fingers from the bow and arrow they issued him when he joined up ;o)

wiz-king 15:03 16 Jun 2009

In the days of the 'Wild West' the propellant was usually a black powder. Modern propellants have a bit more kick, but I must say I am amused when a thin bit of metal like an oil drum stops a .44 magnum in some of the films.

interzone55 15:11 16 Jun 2009

Watch this US army video - some bullets pass through a wall, filing cabinet and another wall

click here

user8 15:34 16 Jun 2009

Bren, Sterling & SLR.

Bingalau 15:51 16 Jun 2009

The callouses on my fingers are pointed slightly towards you Brumas in a sort of inverted "V" sign.

If a "PIAT" counts then yes, I used to teach people how to use it. We still had them when I joined up in 1947. (I have put the full year in there because otherwise Brumas would have assumed it was 1847). I think we changed over to a more modern anti-tank weapon in the early 1950's.

Clapton is God 16:25 16 Jun 2009

Like user8 - Bren, Sterling & SLR.

I've also got one or two callouses from hoiking a certain RN field gun around Whale Island

john bunyan 17:21 16 Jun 2009

Yes, the PIAT (Platoon, Infantry, Anti Tank) was replaced by the 3.5 in Rocket Launcher ( used it, expensively, against urban snipers a few times) No kick as it was rocket propelled. Then a smaller, LAW (Light Antitank Weapon) came in. I was in during the transition from sten to sterling, .303in Mk 4 Rifle to .765mm SLR , .38 Webley revolver to .9 mm Browning automatic, though in the bit that Bingalu and I were in we used all kinds of weapons from a single shot silenced Welrod .22 pistol to US M16's , and Russian AK47's among many others! The .44 magnum revolver with special armour piercing rounds was great for stopping a car!

john bunyan 17:23 16 Jun 2009

Forgot the change from .303 Bren to .765mm GPMG! Lamp swinging over?

Bingalau 17:58 16 Jun 2009

john bunyan. Ah! yes memories are all I have to cling to.. I even remember the music from the fifties too. But I always remembered the PIAT as Projectile, Infantry, Anti-Tank... Whatever, you had to get pretty damn close to a tank. I also remember one of our lads "Wyatt" Earp taking out a sniper (who had been a nuisance to us) in an upper window in Palestine. He got close enough by keeping in the lee of a scout car until he was opposite the window, lined up roughly where he knew the window was. Then the scout car moved away and he lobbed a round from the PIAT through the window. He got the Military Cross for that. Who said the lamp swinging was over... I suppose the FE will step in when he thinks fit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?