Anybody had LES

Legolas 11:34 23 Sep 2008

Morning all. I was considering having Lazar Eye Surgery and I was wondering if other forumites have any experience of this? I know at the end of the day I will have to make up my own mind but I am just trying to gauge its worth.

Marko797 11:47 23 Sep 2008

wife has had it via Ultralase, and has had no probs at all. She had Waveform treatment. It's the most expensive at c. £3k. Her eyesight is now perfect.

I think it's important for u to choose the right provider, and be comfortable with ur choice, as there are quite a few providing this now. I wouldn't be influenced solely by cost though.

I'd research the providers and look for forums (fora) with customer feedback. There are many of these if u google - which is what we did.

Ultralase has a sound reputation (as indicated by our research) and it was this and the free aftercare which helped make the decision to go with them.

Hope this helps.

Legolas 12:05 23 Sep 2008

Thanks for the reply. It does sound very good although at £3000 it is a bit out of my price range at the moment, but I do take on board the advice not to let price influence me too much. I take it that the price you quote was for both eyes.

Marko797 12:16 23 Sep 2008

yes she had both eyes done. Each had a slightly different prescription. On cost, they do provide a 2 years interest free period to spread the cost, which is useful if u don't have the £3k to hand.

We chose to consider cost the least of our worries. Reason for this, she knew she wanted it done, and of course the eyes are very important.

In short, we wanted the best possible treatment, and I think in this regard there's a tendency to think that if it costs more then the treatment will be more reliable and safe. I think this is just perception.

Like I said, ur research is an important thing as it will provide u with the assurances that u may well need.

At the end of the day, u need to be happy that u want it done, and that ur choice of provider can give u what u want.

Marko797 12:25 23 Sep 2008

meant to add that the wife has never regretted the decision to have LES.

Yes, there was a period of initial mild soreness which is to be expected, and having to avoid getting water in the eyes, and then she had to go back for check ups as part of the aftercare service, but the latter was no major issue as we got weekend appointments.

They did actually re-laser one of her eyes to ensure 20/20 in both eyes, but again no problems, and this was done free of charge.

I think originally, the procedure took about 5 mins max.

Amazing really. She'd worn contact lenses for years, then 5 mins in a chair and she had perfect vision.

I'd go for it if I were u and u feel it's right. U might liver to regret *not* having it done :)

Marko797 12:27 23 Sep 2008

that shud have read "U might live to regret *not* having it done"

Bingalau 13:25 23 Sep 2008

Don't forget to take in to account the cost of new spectacles every couple of years. If laser treatment gives you good eyesight for the rest of your life it could be a money saver. I wonder if anyone on here has long term experience of this subject?

simonjary 13:39 23 Sep 2008

I had both eyes done about 5 years ago (can't remember exactly when), and it was the best money (then about £3,500) that I've ever spent.

I got it done at London's Moorfields Eye Hospital by its top man - after personal recommendations by friends.

Eyesight takes a few months to get close to "perfect" but is very good quite quickly. I had mine done on a Saturday morning and was back at work on the Monday.

Simon

Legolas 13:40 23 Sep 2008

Thanks for the replies I will certainly begin to look at different providers and costs. I am not sure if age comes into it I am 52. Is the actual procedure painful or more uncomfortable, did your wife say?

Bingalau
It was the cost of spectacles that got me thinking about LES I change my specs every two years and they cost on average £250 a time so although it would take a few years to cover the cost fully it certainly has to be taken into consideration.

WhiteTruckMan 13:49 23 Sep 2008

but anything to do with my eyes is an exeption. Despite that I once actually considered LES (I wear glasses) but made the mistake of seeing a piece on TV that showed how it was done. I'm afraid that alone has put me right off, I'm sorry to say.

WTM

Legolas 14:03 23 Sep 2008

I know what you mean I hate anybody touching my eyes, even getting my eyes tested is a bit disconcerting for me, but if LES meant I no longer need to wear specs then I would seriously consider it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?