Anybody been on Douro River Cruise

rawprawn 13:46 07 Jan 2011

I am taking my wife this year to celebrate our Golden Wedding Anniversary.
The only Category 1 cabins left are at the stern of the ship cabin number 223.
Does anyone know if this is a problem?
click here

dagbladet 14:00 07 Jan 2011

I don't think it has had paying passengers yet so won't be many reviews about. I don't see why 223 should be a problem though. I don't imagine they keep the mop-bucket in there or anything.

rawprawn 14:04 07 Jan 2011

Thanks dagbladet, I was just a bit worried because all the forward cabins were taken, and I wondered why.
I also seems close to the funnel and I wondered if that may be noisy.

birdface 14:18 07 Jan 2011

[I was just a bit worried because all the forward cabins were taken]

Maybe it is because when ships sink the Stern goes down first.

I have never been on a cruise before but just wondering if it may be a bit Noisier at that end with the propeller turning.

I am sure someone will come up with some good information for you and may I congratulate You and the Wife on reaching your Golden Wedding Anniversary.
I hope you have a pleasant Holiday wherever you go.

rawprawn 14:25 07 Jan 2011

Thanks buteman,we have a good marriage, and a great family. I think we deserve to celebrate this year.

sunnystaines 14:41 07 Jan 2011

i have done similar cruises on the danube go for upper deck lower deck gets engine vibrations.

rawprawn 15:02 07 Jan 2011

Thanks sunnystaines, 223 is on the upper deck.

dagbladet 15:10 07 Jan 2011

This ship is brand new and specifically designed to ply this route. I imagine they've thought of stuff like vibration, noise and sinking.

muddypaws 15:14 07 Jan 2011

The further you are away from the c of g the more movement you will feel, but as it is a river cruise that shouldn't matter and you are far enough removed from any possible prop noise. Enjoy--looks a nice vessel.
Has internet so you can still post to PCA!

Bingalau 16:22 07 Jan 2011

rawprawn. I hope you and your wife have a lovely time and looking at the details of the cruise I think you will do so. I think river cruises are probably better than cruising at sea where you may be susceptible to sea sickness which could ruin your trip. On the river you will be in sight of land all the time and sea sickness will not enter in to the equasion. Your cabin looks to be in the ideal position to me. To tell you the truth I am as bloody jealous as hell. Think I will start saving. I've had good cruises on the Rhine etc., and also a session of two and a half years before the mast, courtesy of Her Majesty's Royal Fleet. Yours looks a much better deal.

rawprawn 16:46 07 Jan 2011

Thank you for your comments,we have only been on 2 cruises before. A very small (only about 50 passengers) 4 day one on the Australian Barrier Reef, which just blew me away as I love (loved) swimming underwater, I no longer have the lungs for it. Then a 7 day cruise to Alaska to celebrate my wifes 60th birthday which we thoroughly enjoyed.Sea sickness didn't come into it for either trip.
Being an artillery surveyor I never got off the land, although I did a ski course with your colleagues in Scotland.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?