Any tips for cleaning leather car seats?

WhiteTruckMan 23:05 04 Apr 2010

I've recently got a fresh vehicle with leather seats, which are a first for me. I've inititally spent a fair amount of time and headscratching getting it running correctly (faulty crankshaft position sensor) and am now turning my efforts to the cosmetic side of it. As the thread title says, I am looking to clean the seats up. Preferably as cheaply as reasonably possible so no suggestions of getting it valeted, but I have a large case of elbow grease that fell off the back of my truck. Any ideas what could go with it?

WTM

rdave13 23:19 04 Apr 2010

Vacuume, clean and use a leather polish. click here

Too cold in the winter months for me so would not entertain leather seats.

WhiteTruckMan 23:30 04 Apr 2010

-not when they are heated.

WTM

rdave13 23:33 04 Apr 2010

Usually only available for the driver and front seat passenger.

Quickbeam 00:19 05 Apr 2010

Pledge furniture polish, the original in a tin, not the aerosol is all you need. It's rich in beeswax and a nice lavender smell that suits a car. I've used it for years for car, home, and racing leathers, it does a good job.

Quickbeam 00:21 05 Apr 2010

"-not when they are heated."
I has a couple of Scorpios with the heated leather seats, they warmed up like toast in about 10 minutes, only trouble was that I only lived 5 minutes from work...

Quickbeam 00:23 05 Apr 2010

There's also dubbin, but that smells like old kippers when it's heated;)

Forum Editor 01:10 05 Apr 2010

as did its predecessors, and I have only ever used two products - Connolly leather cleaner and Connolly Hide Food.

Both these products are recommended by Rolls Royce and Ferrari, and if they're good enough for them they're good enough for me. Over the years I've found nothing to compare with them.

wiz-king 07:44 05 Apr 2010

Saddle soap - the solid block type - and a damp sponge. If you get bubbles you are using too much water! If they have got wet and the leather has gone dry and hard - a wipe over with a clean cloth and a little neatsfoot oil.

Forum Editor 11:59 05 Apr 2010

may well have been made by Connolly. In addition to RR and Ferrari they supply all the leather for Volvo, Morgan, Aston Martin and others.

In the world of leather there's no name more prestigious than Connolly, and if they make the leather they should know how to maintain it.

You should never apply Saddle soap to car seats - it's entirely the wrong product - great for saddles, but wrong for cars.

Bingalau 12:10 05 Apr 2010

I think Quickbeam's solution is the best, Pledge is a lot cheaper than Connelly's too. I had leather seats in a previous car and it was Pledge that I used. It depends on your financial situation I suppose....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017