Any other Curlers among the membership?

wee eddie 23:22 24 Nov 2006

I noticed that "Cannuck" was posting and that set my mind working.

The Canadians probably have the most active Curling Community in the world,with us Scots, Norwegians, Americans and Japanese trailing along behind...

I play now and again, well about 4 nights a week during the season. Do we have any other players around?

Forum Editor 23:42 24 Nov 2006

and say "I can do that".

In all seriousness - if there were any curling facilities within easy reach of my part of London I would definitely give it a try. Unfortunately I think the nearest dedicated curling rink (is that the right word) is somewhere in Kent - Tonbridge or Tunbridge Wells I believe.

wee eddie 09:16 25 Nov 2006

That on one of the Canadian sites I visit, there are players from all over the world.

As we also have a world wide membership, I wondered if any of us played.

It's a players game, rather than football which is, in the main, participated in from the couch. Which explains my fewer visits here during the winter months.

I think that, at the present, Fentons is the only rink within spitting distance. There is talk of one being created by Cambridge but, at the present, it appears to be no more than talk.

spuds 14:39 25 Nov 2006

Unfortunately in my region, we do not even have an ice rink, but it not for the case of trying. Like most of my colleagues, we are limited to television viewing, as and when available. Travel distance to suitable venues would possibly be out of the question, due to costs and real solid enthusiasm of a sport not local.

Jackcoms 16:30 25 Nov 2006

I've got a long-handled broom.

Does that count? ;-)

Jim Thing 22:17 25 Nov 2006

Thirty-odd years ago I played, as a complete noveice, with Dumbarton Curling Club. Very enjoyable; nice people — very patient with a beginner who distinguished himself by falling over and scattering the house — and terrific after-match social side.

Cheers
Les

Jim Thing 22:18 25 Nov 2006

...or 'novice' even...

Jim Thing 23:53 25 Nov 2006

...or Jim, even...

wee eddie 18:13 27 Nov 2006

>

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone