Any London Underground Experts out there??

Pine Man 11:10 14 Feb 2011
Answered

Here is a Monday morning poser for you.

I want to go to Earls court next month from Northolt and all of the websites appear to state that you have to change at Nottinghill Gate and then take the Circle Line to High Street Kensington, where you change to the District Line and travel on to Earls Court.

Looking at the underground map it looks as if you can travel on the District Line all the way from Nottinghill Gate to Earls Court and don’t need the Circle Line at all.

Forum Editor 11:22 14 Feb 2011
Answer

Take the Central line from Northolt to Nottinghill gate, and change to the District line for Earls Court.

Have a good trip.

MAJ 11:27 14 Feb 2011

I love the Tube when I go to London, I usually spend a few hours playing with it, but boys-oh-boys, does your nose get black.

onthelimit 11:45 14 Feb 2011

Read a fascinating book about the history of the Tube (OK, so I'm a bit of an anorak). Steam locos to start with and the carriages were sealed with no windows - great!

Pine Man 11:47 14 Feb 2011

Thanks for that.

Forum Editor 11:51 14 Feb 2011

There was also one heady period during which some lucky underground commuters - from Oakwood Park - could get a cooked breakfast as their train rattled into town.

onthelimit 13:07 14 Feb 2011

Ah, those were the days!

morddwyd 20:45 14 Feb 2011

Cooked on the fireman's shovel no doubt!

the hick 20:57 14 Feb 2011

A good history of the Underground is 'Rails through the Clay', but I think now out of print.
Maybe at your local Library!

peter99co 22:26 14 Feb 2011

When I stayed in Caterham in the 60's my cousin and I would spend hours on the tubes.

We overshot our stop once and got off a Clapham Junction. We stayed for half an hour watching the train movements before getting a train back in the opposite direction. Fascinating

Always trying to find the longest escalator. Which one was it? I thought it might be Angel.

Forum Editor 23:01 14 Feb 2011

There are 408 escalators on the London Underground, and the one you mentioned - at Angel station - is indeed the longest, at 90 feet.

The shortest is at Chancery lane - 15 feet.

Before you ask, the deepest lift is at Hampstead on the Northern Line - 181 feet. Hampstead is also the deepest station - 192 feet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?