Any keyboard impresarios here?

Picklefactory 08:08 11 Nov 2008

I know there are a number of musicians here, anyone know anything about keyboards?
I'm looking to get one for my 11 year old for err, the approaching holiday period (Do I get away with that?). Can see plenty on the web but have no clue about any to specifically avoid or to be recommended. I'm looking at sub £100, as it's his first and he may get bored with it, but he loves music and has wanted one for some time, so I'll give him a go.
Any thoughts on what would be good/bad points to look for in a keyboard.
Cheers

€dstowe 09:01 11 Nov 2008

Good as electronic keyboards may be, nothing can give you the "feel" or "touch" of a real piano.

My suggestion would be, especially if this might be a passing phase, to buy a reasonable second hand piano, get it tuned properly and have lessons. You will then get proper playing techniques.

If there is a real enthusiasm, you can get a better instrument and/or an electronic one later. It can sometimes be quite difficult to start with a keyboard and move over to a traditional instrument.

Picklefactory 09:10 11 Nov 2008

But if you saw the amount of steps leading up to my house (38 and quite steep and narrow) bringing anything large and heavy to my house is a major undertaking. I appreciate your comments but you weren't to know that, it all makes good sense, but I need to stick to something I can carry under my arm.
Thanks again for advice

dagbladet 09:24 11 Nov 2008

IMHO I wopuld suggest a somewhat different tack to €dstowe. It may well be a passing phase. I had it myself about twenty years ago. Had a burning desire to play a keyboard, so went to a music shop and bought a Casio for £250. Played it for about a week then lost interest. 15 years later and my daughter arrives at the 'keyboard phase'. I've no idea where the Casio is so it's another £200 for a Yamaha, which like all things is quite a bit more advanced than the previous. The phase lasts about a month (she did better than me) and I recently despatched the Yamaha to the loft where lo and behold, I find the Casio! I would imagine that these (full size) keyboards probably go for £69-79 now, or if you were to break into my loft there are two which won't be missed at least until we experience a grandchild 'keyboard phase' in about ten years time.

dagbladet 09:33 11 Nov 2008

If you want to test the 'phase' theory, Asda are currently advertising a full size one for £25. It's probably not going to be exactly Steinway quality but I wouldn't be surprised if it's comparable to my £200-£250 jobs.

dagbladet 09:40 11 Nov 2008

Sorry, meant to add. One of the key (geddit) advantages of a keyboard over a piano being the headphone facility. Absolutely vital.

Picklefactory 09:40 11 Nov 2008

Good point and worth consideration. If I can find a reasonable 'budget' one, it might be suitable for dipping toe in water.

Picklefactory 09:42 11 Nov 2008

Ooh, yeah. See, that's why I'm here. Never even considered the headphone aspect. Absolutely crucial, good shout. Thanks.

jtt 13:32 12 Nov 2008

"My suggestion would be, especially if this might be a passing phase, to buy a reasonable second hand piano".

I think you'd be talking well over £1,000 for one. Low priced secondhand ones I've seen are in poor condition, and would require lots of money to re-condition them to an acceptable standard. Many aren't capable of reaching that standard.

IClaudio 15:28 12 Nov 2008

a Tuner will be anywhere from £50 upwards - and, unless you buy the piano from a dealer, add in the cost of an accredited piano removal van (don't use a Man and a Van :))

Picklefactory 12:50 13 Nov 2008

.........Yamaha YPT200-K from Amazon. About £80 with heavy duty stand. Should arrive early next week, I'll tick as resolved now and post back with opinion.
Thanks for all the hints.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone