Any electricians out there?

Mike D 12:06 07 Dec 2009

I have a consumer unit which takes fuse cartridges as opposed to fuse wire. I am having great difficulty in getting spare fuses for this unit. I know that at some time I need to replace the consumer unit, but finances do not permit the full job at present. I have seen (in my local Wickes store) Micro switches, similar to circuit breaker type switches, which are being sold as a low cost upgrade to consumer units with fuse wire type breakers. Would I be able to use these in my unit (using the correct ampage, obviously)?

octal 13:32 07 Dec 2009

Yes, that's exactly what I did with my consumer unit. You are just changing the carrier so they should just directly plug in. I am an electrician, but you don't need to be an electrician to do that obviously.

Mike D 13:53 07 Dec 2009

Thanks for the reassurance. I thought it would be Ok, but no-one at Wickes was able or willing to clarify the point.
Mike

peter99co 14:09 07 Dec 2009

no-one at Wickes was able or willing to clarify the point.

They only sell things. Probably not allowed to tell you in case they give wrong information.

Spark6 14:33 07 Dec 2009

Depending on the design of your consumer unit it is possible that the cover of the unit will not fit over the replacement carriers. This is normally not a problem when the unit is tucked away out of sight.

Take one of your fuse carriers to the Wickes store to be able to compare physical size.

Spark6 14:33 07 Dec 2009

Depending on the design of your consumer unit it is possible that the cover of the unit will not fit over the replacement carriers. This is normally not a problem when the unit is tucked away out of sight.

Take one of your fuse carriers to the Wickes store to be able to compare physical size.

Mike D 17:54 07 Dec 2009

Thanks Spark6, this is something I'll neeed to look at.
Mike

al's left peg 18:58 07 Dec 2009

I got the wylex type mini breakers from Screwfix
click here

You just order the size you need and replace the carriers. It's really simple but, if you are not comfortable consult a qualified electrician. They are safer as well as they trip out faster than fuse wire burning through. Good luck.

Spark6 19:48 07 Dec 2009

That's one of the designs the original cover will not fit over! One only has to compare the depth of the MCB with the original Wylex carrier.

spuds 19:58 07 Dec 2009

Like Spark6 suggests, make sure that the component is compatible with your unit. I bought some similar parts from Screwfix a number of years ago, and when they arrived the cover wouldn't fit afterwards. Now that Screwfix have outlets around the country, they will exchange if the items are returned in same condition as purchased. Wickes I believe also have an exchange policy now.

Quickbeam 12:28 08 Dec 2009

I also fitted the Wylex ones about a year ago. It's correct the cover doesn't fit over older boxes, but it's only a dust cover, it doesn't make any difference to it's operation, it doesn't create any risk of electrocution.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?