Any Calvados connoisseurs, advice needed

Blackhat 13:43 11 Dec 2013
Answered

I have been asked to find a bottle for a gift, preferably Apple variety.

A bit about Calvados

There are so many to choose from, any advice would be useful, by the way I hate apple or pear flavor drinks myself

wiz-king 14:12 11 Dec 2013

An acquired taste. - Unless the recipient drinks it as a regular drink they wont have a preference, strictly speaking it can only come from a specific region in France but I have been told some of the English apple brandies are quite good. Go for one that is at least 5 years old.

Forum Editor 15:21 11 Dec 2013

Calvados is not really worthy of the name until it is at least 6 years old.

After that, it's a question of budget. If you really want a taste experience that is out of this world,and your budget permits, try to find some Adrien Camut Reserve d'Adrien. It will have been in the bottle for at least 30 years, and will set you back by around £150.

For something a little less stratospheric, go for a mid-range bottle of Domaine Dupont 1997, which will be priced somewhere around £45/50 or at the budget end of the market try Berneroy VSOP Calvados at about £26

Can you tell that I once spent a month working in the region?

Forum Editor 15:23 11 Dec 2013

"I hate apple or pear flavor drinks myself"

Understood, but have you ever tried Calvados? I think you might be very surprised if you do.

wee eddie 16:15 11 Dec 2013

Having been brought up on Home Brewed Calvados & Marc, I cannot find fault in FE's response.

A wee shot at the end of a meal is essential 'pour le digestife'

Blackhat 16:22 11 Dec 2013
Answer

FE

Looks like I might get the chance. Finding a bottle NOT online wasn't easy but my local wine shop actually has a variety in stock, picking up a bottle on my way home.

Thanks all for advice.

Forum Editor 16:56 11 Dec 2013

Wee eddie's advice about a glass at the end of a meal is sound. Calvados is not something that should be rushed, or something that should be imbibed in any great quantity - a bottle should last a long time.

Buy the very best that you can afford.

Quickbeam 08:26 12 Dec 2013

Same as with top notch brandies and whiskies then. But I can't help but think that the FE's answer is a tad elitist! You can buy a perfectly palatable malt whisky at the lower price range without having to dismiss everything below the price of Johnnie Walker blue label, surely the same must be the case with Calvados...

Aitchbee 09:42 12 Dec 2013

... Johnnie Walker Red must be the 'rot gut' variety, I reckon.

click here

Forum Editor 10:51 12 Dec 2013

Quickbeam

"surely the same must be the case with Calvados."

Taste a Calvados that has been in the bottle for less than six years, and then taste one that is say, twelve years old. The younger one may well be palatable, but it won't be anything like the older version.

Calvados is at its best when over 12 years old, but that doesn't mean you can't drink it younger. You just won't get the best taste experience.

Quickbeam 12:08 12 Dec 2013

FE

I'm now tempted to get myself a bottle in for Christmas present and Christmas future, but I'm a bit late for Christmas past, at least six years by the sound of it...

Aitchbee

Don't knock any of the Johnnie Walkers, I've always liked the smokiness and bit of a bite that the grain content in the Johnnie Walker labels give. But as with the FE's comments on ageing, they get better, but horrendously and disproportionally dearer into the un-bargain!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

See the Best Button Badge Designs of 2017

iPhone X review

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires