Any aircraft enthus'sts help re airband freq

sunny staines 14:25 01 Jul 2007

We live below an air corridor dover - woodley - shannon - to Atlasntic. A few years back we used to listen to the aircraft on an airband radio flying over at 30,000ft leaving vapour trails.

Just been given a new airband radio, not listened to one for years, and need help finding a web site for the overhead air corridor UK frequencies, found local airports But not the air corridors.

Any pilots or aircraft fans help on this one please.

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:35 01 Jul 2007

click here has a good selection.

G

sunny staines 14:45 01 Jul 2007

gandalf thanks for the link a good resource for military aircraft, I was looking more for the civilian airliners using the air corridors do you have any more links up your sleeve.

johndrew 15:04 01 Jul 2007

The warning click here in bold should be brought to your attention.

But you can also click here for a few clues as airlines do not publish their `private` frequencies for obvious reasons and click here for more.

sunny staines 15:26 01 Jul 2007

johndrew
thanks they were good links, not had a chance to play around with the new radio yet so not sure if it has a scanner, I might email one of the contacts for the info if all else fails.

In the past picked up some good conversations. we parked up by heathrow one day a virgin jumbo had turned onto the runway given clearence to take off when he reported loss of steering of the front of the aircraft, it could now not steer the queue of planes behind were held up till the plane could be towed away imagine the danger had the steering gone as it powered along the runway on take off or landing. Other amazing things is the state of some of the 3rd world pilots that fail to understand instructions and get words of advice from the tower and other planes warned for comming in too close and fast.
The over head vapour trail planes were also intesting because i could identify the planes with binoculars to id the airline

Forum Editor 17:40 01 Jul 2007

Thanks for that cheery news. I'll think of it as I sit in the 747 on the holding area at Heathrow next week, and again as we start our take-off run.

big bloke66 21:29 01 Jul 2007

I always thought that once the jet liner let go of the brakes under max power, the rudder took over the steering.
Still what do i know. Learn somthing everyday.

sunny staines 21:39 01 Jul 2007

big bloke

I have no idea, just what i watched while listening on the radio, was expecting near diaster avoided to be the press next day but not a dicky bird.

spent a couple of hours looking for the old web site of the upper air corridors acoss the UK and the radio freq got no where, did find the maps on one site but not the freq list

HondaMan 21:48 01 Jul 2007
  HondaMan 22:19 01 Jul 2007

True, but only when the airflow over the rudder is enough for it to be effective?

WhiteTruckMan 22:34 01 Jul 2007

at slow speeds with the throttles, but it isnt easy. If its a 'heavy' then once it starts to yaw (rotate about the vertical axis) then there is actually a fair amount of angular momentum that needs to be cancelled out. If steering with power the only way to do that is with more power, but its a fine art and its not unusual to see a heavy oversteering, especially as a jet engine is not all that responsive to sudden throttle inputs (compared with a piston engine).I might add that the only practical experience I've had with this is with C130's, not exactly jumbo jet sized.

WTM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017