Ants

laurie53 13:03 15 May 2009

I've got a fairly comprehensive infestation of ants in my compost.

How do I get rid of them, or they doing more good than harm by keeping the compost well aerated?

Quickbeam 13:04 15 May 2009

If they don't venture into the house, leave 'em be.

peter99co 13:25 15 May 2009

I believe that scientists have discovered that all the Ants along the coast of the South of France belong to the same colony. (no evidence to support this) I saw it on a TV broadcast some time ago.

I have tried to get rid of Red Ants in my garden and find they just move to a different place.

Grey Goo 13:51 15 May 2009

We have one of the official Council composters and it is always alive with Ants. They seem to do a good job of munching up a lot of the green waste. One way to reduce them is to tip all the compost out and watch the birds eat all the eggs up but then you have a large pile of semi composted compost laying around.

medicine hat 14:23 15 May 2009

I understand that ants in compost is a sign that its too dry. So pour on some water, and the ants will leave.

TopCat® 14:46 15 May 2009

medicine hat is right according to this - click here - so dousing with 'cold water' should encourage them to leave. Then again, they apparently help with the composting process if conditions are right for them, so the choice is yours it would seem. TC.

sunnystaines 15:46 15 May 2009

"IPPON" ant killer is excellent the worker ants take it into the nest and feed it to all the other ants, takes a few days to work.

Stuartli 15:51 15 May 2009

I'm with Quickbeam but would add unless they are causing problems, for instance, by colonising under a flagged area and causing the flags to become uneven.

Ants are the most amazing insects and well worth a study.

laurie53 20:09 15 May 2009

Many thanks everybody.

I think on balance I'll leave them to get on with it.

Don't think the compost is too dry as it's also full of woodlice, and they like it damp.

Forum Editor 07:56 18 May 2009

we need all the insects we can get.

If you fancy a fascinating example of the complexity of the ant world click here

Quickbeam 08:35 18 May 2009

How many ants were entombed in cement during the making of that video?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?