Antispyware - do you need it?

Managing ed 15:12 30 Nov 2007

Recently one of our contributors wrote a piece suggesting that antispyware was a waste of time and money: click here

Perhaps unsurprisingly, this met with some dissent, not least from the security software community, and PC Tools (author of our current Best Buy Spyware Doctor) was sporting enough to outline its counter-argument: click here

What do you think?

Matt Egan
Managing Editor

Seth Haniel 15:20 30 Nov 2007

of pc's today.

A free scan can run in the background so no time wasted or money.

My new pc had never been connected to the internet and a scan revealed a nasty actually lurking in the modem install software.

Mike D 15:26 30 Nov 2007

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I wouldn't consider going on line with a full complement of firewall, Anti virus and anti spyware/malware applications. For me that's Comodo Firewall, Avast, A Squared (thank you PCA), PrevX 2, and Adaware.

Yes, I was right - I'm paranoid!

Mike

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:36 30 Nov 2007

If you have teeenage sons and daughters then, beacuse of the type of sites they visit-

You definately need Antispyware.

Have spent hours cleaning the "crap" out of friends PCs beacause the spyware is slowing it down or causing it to crash or not even boot.

anskyber 15:45 30 Nov 2007

It depends on so many things including those outlined by the other posters. Your contributer may well be a "sharp cookie" but the bad boys are pretty smart too.

Some antispyware can be obtained for free so I could say what's the harm in using it.

Tell you what, why don't you run your personal PC at home without antispyware and let us all know how you get on. :-))

Managing ed 15:45 30 Nov 2007

I am too!

Good to know...

Managing ed 15:52 30 Nov 2007

Funny enough, we've been discussing doing just that. Not sure I'm going to volunteer my own machine though...

anskyber 15:55 30 Nov 2007

It would be interesting, seriously. Perhaps the valiant FE will step into the breach.

sunny staines 15:57 30 Nov 2007

I use free antispyware and scan each weekend with one of them rotating between superantispyware, A2 Squared and AVG antispyware. I aso have Spybot sd & ad-adaware but only scan with them when definition updates come out.

As for live scanning I Norton Internet security and Spyware Terminator for its shield protection.
Blocking programs are spywareblaster and IObit AWC2.

When people bank online and shop online they have a lot to loose if they fall victim to online criminals etc.

I am well over the top with the above but it gives me peace of mind, family members visit allsorts of iffy sites and with all the publicity with online crime and IDENTITY theft I am taking no chances. The software is free so I might as well make good use of it.

funny enough,
ive ran this machine,im on for 5 months with no anti anything firewall or the like.
The router has a firewall but that apart nothing.
Ive ran online scans to check its clear,all came up clean.
I have a acronis image to restore from that takes 10 minutes to restore in case of infection.
So not advocating it,just a personal experiment.
The machine is online 8-10 hours per day.
On reflection its quicker to restore an image than a single scan.

octal 16:05 30 Nov 2007

It is a waste of time for me running Linux.

"'Only a matter of time,' warns antivirus firm"
click here

Really? It's been two years and we are still waiting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?