Another wonderful story of present day England

hssutton 18:18 01 Oct 2009

click here.

I've said it before, I'm in total despair of this modern England.

oresome 18:22 01 Oct 2009

Could she have elected to be tried by jury?

I'm sure common sense would have prevailed regardless of the strict definition of the law.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:27 01 Oct 2009

Glad to see Plod and our increasingly out of touch courts, upholding the law to it's fullest extent, against such dangerous malefactors.

G

Forum Editor 19:10 01 Oct 2009

into magistrates these days, so that complete fools can make this kind of a mockery of sensible people who are in court because other complete fools haven't got enough sense to make a simple judgement call.

We've become so obsessed with devising a system that is 'fair' to all that we've handcuffed our police services and our courts - it's no longer possible for an ordinary copper to make a common-sense judgement on the street, and tell a nasty little yob to count himself lucky that he doesn't get a thick ear for harassing an old lady.

As I have said until I'm blue in the face - it's our fault, all this. We're the ones who have allowed our society to degrade itself in this way, so let's all look in the mirror and tell ourselves that we must be out of our tiny minds. If we want a zero-tolerance situation to apply to incidents like this we can have it quite quickly - we write to our MPs in our millions and tell them.

Don't hold your breath - we're such an apathetic, idle lot that there's no chance of it happening. We might puff up with righteous indignation each time something like this happens, but we'll actually do nothing - old ladies will continue to be prosecuted for standing up to violent little thugs, and we'll continue to say how dreadful it all is..........and of course we'll blame our politicians, or immigrants, or the police, or the courts, or all four of them.

spuds 19:40 01 Oct 2009

Doesn't this type of action sound very familiar with other recent daily incidents that the media report.

When we read about 'our' politician own individual activities or that of their sons, daughters, wives, husbands and family's dubious affairs or incidents, including the recent expenses or passport scandal. Then it makes you wonder, who will be the champion in bringing true justice into this world. Not our present majority of MP's, and that's for sure.

interzone55 20:16 01 Oct 2009

Does anyone have a link to this story from a more moderate newspaper.

I'd be interested in reading this story from a source that isn't biased slightly to the right of the BNP.

Mind you, it was funny reading the Mail trying to support an illegal immigrant just because it made a Labour peer look bad...

oldbeefer2 20:53 01 Oct 2009

...now live in Australia. I am SO tempted to join them!

oresome 21:19 01 Oct 2009

Where has this stick come from?

I see no mention of it in the report. She prodded him with her finger.

Jim Thing 21:22 01 Oct 2009

Six or seven years ago my youngest son finished 22 years in the army, announced that there was no way he and his wife would ever consider raising their three young children in England, and went off to live in Canada.

They now have an excellent standard of living and my grandchildren are bright, polite, well-taught in well-equipped schools and, above all, happy. They've never regretted their decision.

Bingalau 21:54 01 Oct 2009

I've got relatives and friends in Australia who inform me that things are no better there. So don't start packing just yet.

Forum Editor 22:51 01 Oct 2009

the facts of this story are not in dispute as far as I'm aware.

The woman involved is 71, and has osteoporosis, curvature of the spine and diabetes.

A 17 year old threw stones at her window and hid behind a wall.

She went and confronted him, and she alleges he called her "some ****ing German woman".

She poked him in the chest, and he made a complaint about her to police.

She was prosecuted for (and admitted) assault, and she was given a conditional discharge and ordered to pay £50.

There is no mention of a stick in any of the reports I read, and the story in the Mail does say that this youth was involved - it quotes the woman as saying 'I saw one of them throw the stones against my window from my bedroom. I went out and found him hiding behind a wall."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?