another windows rip off

Cicha13 15:03 27 Feb 2005

I have just bought a new pc with xp home. I wanted to use my legal copy of xp professional to upgrade to it and surprise surprise I cannot because it does not have sp2. Surely Microsoft should think about supplying legal purchasers with updated versions of their discs free of charge to allow us to upgrade when we buy a new pc

Taran 15:15 27 Feb 2005

I disagree that this is in any way a rip-off.

If I bought a car last year and a newer model came out this year, I certainly wouldn't expect the manufacturer or dealer to be obliged to supply me with the latest model, just because one is available.

You can download SP 2 and slipstream it into your XP Pro disk and burn a new CD, then use it to install over XP Home if you want to.

Microsoft offered SP2 as a CD for nominal delivery costs and anyone you know with broadband could easily download it for you if you cannot do it yourself. I supply many friends and colleagues who only have narrowband Internet access with large Windows updates on CD this way.

If you want some links on how to create your own slipstreamed Windows CD (it is quite legal to do so) feel free to ask. Running a few Google searches on slipstreaming XP SP2 will give you the full lowdown on the subject. It isn't very hard to do.

Microsoft offer their updates online to anyone who wants them.

Incidentally, if you choose the clean install option rather than the Upgrade (recommended) option when trying to install your XP Pro disk, it should work just fine. You will lose any ability to roll back if things go awry, but you should be able to install and then update XP Pro, but you need to make certain you have all the necssary device drivers for your system, as well as any application software you want.

Dizzy Bob 18:01 27 Feb 2005

you can pick up a free service pack 2 disk at any branch of PC World

Dizzy Bob

Forum Editor 18:09 27 Feb 2005

I'm not sure I understand, Cicha13. If this copy of XP Professional is a new purchase it will be the SP2 version.

If you're attempting to use a copy that you've already installed on another machine it isn't legal at all, you can only install the software on one computer.

izabelin 09:46 01 Mar 2005

To clarify, I was using it on another pc that I have now scrapped and wiped the disk so from my perpspective I am in compliance with the licence as it is only being used on 1 pc.

izabelin 09:51 01 Mar 2005

thanks for the response as I had never heard of slipstreaming and as I live in a non english speaking country it is not easy to get the resources together or to get broadband access.

Forum Editor 18:49 01 Mar 2005

if you could stick to one username only. Email me and tell me which one you want to use, and I'll delete the other one. If you don't email me within 24 hours I'll delete one of them anyway.

Buchan 35 20:31 01 Mar 2005

Whichever you are yellow envelope me for a free SP2 disc.

Buchan 35 20:33 01 Mar 2005

I think you missed the point, the new OS is XP Home.

Forum Editor 23:13 01 Mar 2005

I think if you read my post again you'll realise that I didn't miss the point at all.

rickf 18:07 02 Mar 2005

FE sounds upset.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017