Another Victory for PC Twits

Pesala 22:31 21 Aug 2008

click here

What do you think? Are people getting too protective? I know this is a children's book, but is the word "tw*t" too offensive in the context in which it was used? I am sure kids of that age will hear much worse on East Enders or Little Britain.

Strawballs 22:39 21 Aug 2008

I can't believe that 3 complaints out of 150,000 books sold is enough to make them change it.

mrwoowoo 22:52 21 Aug 2008

Does the fact that you've omitted to present the word in it's proper context mean that you agree with the decision?
You argue against the merits of the decision,but feel uncomfortable about typing the word in a mainly adult forum it seems.
Not suitable for this forum, but ok for a childrens book.Hmm?

Blackhat 23:00 21 Aug 2008

Interesting.

I am currently writing a children’s book and I have the good fortune of a class of year 6 pupils in Devon who are proof reading each chapter as I go along. Some notable comments from the kids are that I am not using the sort of language they are used to hearing.

My dialogue seems to be too conservative compared to their day to day chat. I have been reviewing each chapter as I get the feedback but find it very difficult to reach a common ground between youngsters’ street talk and acceptable literature.

Pesala 23:02 21 Aug 2008

This is a PC forum. (~_~)

Pesala 23:15 21 Aug 2008

The problem I have with the decision is that due to PC twits, people feel that they have to censor themselves to avoid any possible criticism. Reprinting a book or withdrawing it from sale at ASDA seems a bit extreme to me.

Being a monk I may well be out of touch with the vernacular in use these days, so I hesitate to use a word that to me is not offensive in the least, or at least not in the context of calling someone a silly twat.

It seems to me that people take offense when they should not, and do not take offense when they should.

rdave13 23:38 21 Aug 2008

Round our neck of the woods it's a swear word and I certainly won't allow my children to use it.

Forum Editor 23:53 21 Aug 2008

has a dictionary meaning that makes it unacceptable here, regardless of the views of a book publisher. No doubt there are those who will find its repeated use an irresistible temptation, and with that in mind I'm going to lock this thread.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

Game of Thrones GIFs: how Eran Mendel is creating hilarious weekly GIFs based on each episode's…

How to increase storage on iPhone

Nokia 8 : rumeurs & soirée de lancement