Another tough time for Londoners.

octal 21:51 28 Mar 2008

click here

It's going to be interesting for me getting from east London here to Northwick Park where I work, it looks like I'm going to have to use our little branch line from Barking to Gospel Oak on the train that sounds like an old tractor, then the North London line to Willesden Junction then another train to Kenton and walk the short distance to Northwick Park hospital.

Forum Editor 21:59 28 Mar 2008

are the travelling public"

Says Gerry Doherty, TSSA general secretary.

Why is it that every public service union leader uses that whining insult to my intelligence every time there's industrial action? Bob Crow, another intelligence insulter, says ""Tube workers will not stand idly by while the security of the network is compromised by managers who clearly believe that staff and passenger safety can be looked after on the cheap."

What absolute rubbish - total, unadulterated rubbish.

anskyber 22:29 28 Mar 2008

I am sure there may be a time when industrial action is justified. This is not one.

The action smacks of the old nonsense union stances which failed to recognise that job restructuring and change is essential to keep business running. I had hoped that one thing that Thatcher did achieve would live on, the realism in unions of job protection at any cost as being unrealistic.

Bingalau 22:35 28 Mar 2008

It could have been worse, they could have waited for the weeks the Olympics are on.

rdave13 22:55 28 Mar 2008

Londenors eh? A country of it's own.

octal 23:18 28 Mar 2008

Silly comment, it's in the UK with everyone else the last time I checked the map :P

helen_312 23:22 28 Mar 2008

'"The last people we want to hit

are the travelling public"

Says Gerry Doherty, TSSA general secretary.

Why is it that every public service union leader uses that whining insult to my intelligence every time there's industrial action? Bob Crow, another intelligence insulter, says ""Tube workers will not stand idly by while the security of the network is compromised by managers who clearly believe that staff and passenger safety can be looked after on the cheap."

What absolute rubbish - total, unadulterated rubbish.'

Perhaps they are concerened about their members and the travelling public over the possability of a terrorist attack. Though whats a few casuallities to the bean counters?

WhiteTruckMan 23:45 28 Mar 2008

the unions stance in this matter is generally being pilloried, it might be an idea to look at their stance in a little more detail.

click here

I cant say that I completely support them without knowing more, but on the face of it, it seems they do have *some* valid points of grievance. Whether or not that justifies industrial action is another matter.

WTM

Miros 02:16 29 Mar 2008

Profit is the most important criteria until events prove otherwise!

georgemac © 06:19 29 Mar 2008

some interesting points in your link.

Negotiation and arbitration is the best way forward. Better if unions and management can work together - a good business will only be profitable with good quality well motivated staff. At a guess, the management drive towards agency staff will be because it is easier to move them on if no good.

With regards to station manning and staff available for emergencies, I would have thought this would have to be in the Emergency Procedures and other bodies like the HSE would have to be consulted before things like this could be changed?

Forum Editor 08:35 29 Mar 2008

to wrap up a concern for the fact that union members might be made redundant as a concern for the safety of the travelling public.

I have absolutely no argument with a union that is concerned with job security for its members - that's one of the prime functions of a trade union. What irritates me intensely is the tendency for union leaders to play the "we're only thinking of you, the travelling public" card. It's that which insults my intelligence, and it's used more and more often to justify industrial action. Let's have a bit of honesty.

The people who run the London Underground have a thankless task - some of the lines they run on began life in the late 1800's (part of the underground was the first urban underground passenger-carrying railway in the world), and they're struggling to cope with 21st century traffic and safety levels. Anyone who travels on the London Underground at peak times in the summer knows only too well what a living hell it can be.

What's needed is investment - lots of it - and the system operators are under pressure to run as efficiently as possible, yet cope with the ever-present threat of terrorist action, signal failures, and industrial action. I think they do a pretty good job, given the circumstances, and of course this is to a large degree thanks to the staff who operate the system.

Using available technology it's perfectly feasible to run unmanned stations without the slightest risk to passenger safety- the Docklands Light Railway runs trains without drivers every day in perfect safety.

What's needed is lateral thinking, and a willingness to adapt to changing circumstances - neither of which seem to be on the union's agenda.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?