Another thread about X-factor (ITV 1) !

JYPX 00:45 05 Dec 2007

It seems like half the country is talking about that guy on the x-factor - Rhydian. I am finding it hard to assess his vocal ability, singing (mainly) pop songs. My question is - how would he/does he rate outside of that show? How would he compare with, for example, the top 100 trained baritone singers in the UK? If you have expertise in this field I would love to hear your views
It would be nice to see our very own Paul Potts in this thread but I guess that diplomacy would not allow him to comment!

Si_L 01:26 05 Dec 2007

I have seen one song during the entire show, and it was that Rydian bloke singing a Village People song.
Nuff said really.

laurie53 08:03 05 Dec 2007

I went into the bedroom while my my wife was watching it. There was a female singer on, sounded just like Celine Dion, without the shouting.

Don't know who she was, but she was good.

Belatucadrus 22:44 06 Dec 2007

with, for example, the top 100 trained baritone singers in the UK?

101 ? If he could compete, I doubt he'd touch X Factor with a barge pole, looking as the Telegraph suggested like "an uneasy fusion of Liberace and Rutger Hauer in Blade Runner."
I suspect that's why Charlotte Church stopped doing classical as without the child prodigy sales gimmick she'd have to compete head on with the likes of Katherin Jenkins and Hailey Westenra and that's a contest she'd lose.

Devil Fish 22:50 06 Dec 2007

The X Factor has found its gem in Leona Lewis and it is going to have a hard time finding some one else in that class.

Rhydian will no doubt find his place in musicals for which he has a good voice but mainstream pop he is not even close

Kev.Ifty 23:06 06 Dec 2007

Is he the scarey looking one? I wondered where I had seen him before....

'Village of the damned'

;-)

Forum Editor 23:21 06 Dec 2007

Rhydian bears comparison with the "top 100 bariton singers in the UK" is irrelevant - they aren't in a TV competition, and he is. He's being judged by comparison to the show's other contestants, not the top 100 baritones.

hssutton 23:34 06 Dec 2007

And my guess he will finish 1st or 2nd

Forum Editor 23:38 06 Dec 2007

"I suspect that's why Charlotte Church stopped doing classical as without the child prodigy sales gimmick she'd have to compete head on with the likes of Katherin Jenkins and Hailey Westenra and that's a contest she'd lose."

Hmmm...

Actually I suspect that Charlotte couldn't give two hoots about competing with such people. She was a millionairess several times over by the time she was 18, and was more interested in having fun than singing the classics.

The late, great Luciano Pavarotti said, after singing with her, that Charlotte's voice was one of the best he had ever heard, and that if she chose to become an opera singer she could become one of the world's great stars. Her voice had a purity and amazing agility that some coloratura sopranos would certainly envy.

Katherine Jenkins' voice has nowhere near the same quality.

Charlotte seemed blissfully unmoved by thoughts of operatic stardom, and chose a more earthy route to fame and fortune, and good luck to her. Maybe some day she'll decide to try opera, but somehow I doubt it - she's too busy enjoying her life, and I think she has her priorities just about right.

Belatucadrus 10:39 07 Dec 2007

Not disputing the lass has a pleasant voice, or her lack of drive to continue in the classical field. But despite the praise from the late great Luciano, Opera buffs & critics have always been a bit sniffy about Ms Church and I suspect that her move away from the field was a wise move by a smart operator.
As to "Katherine Jenkins' voice has nowhere near the same quality." Lets agree to differ on that one.

JYPX 00:43 08 Dec 2007

Even if I am the only person interested, I would still like to know the answer! Does this trained Baritone actually have a career choice (between pop and serious classical performer) - after this tv show has ended - or would he be hopelessly outclassed when compared to our best. Like many people, I can hear that he has a pleasant voice, but I have no idea how good the technique is.
I am sure we have performers/tutors among us that have an opinion....
BTW if you fancy doing a bit of moonlighting, both the official and unofficial x-factor forums are almost out of control, such is the fervour developing! Nothing that a bit of Moderation with Attitude could not sort out, but that is sadly lacking.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017