Is this another Tax We Can All Expect

jakimo 13:39 31 Jul 2009

The sooner they go the better

click here

OTT_Buzzard 13:53 31 Jul 2009

I'm not sure a change in government (if that's who you meant by 'they') would help any.

Another absurd tax. Sorry, I meant another absurd environmental initiative.

Stuartli 16:05 31 Jul 2009

The idea was originally mooted by John Prescott a year or so after New Labour gained power, but the outcry meant that the proposal was put aside.

It's bad enough that the staff at our local hospitals have to pay to park (it's taken out of their wages), particularly those who don't have suitable public transport or work outside the hours when such transport is running.

Stuartli 16:07 31 Jul 2009

Found a reference to Prescott's proposal:

click here

anchor 16:34 31 Jul 2009

It appears the £250/year tax, (rising to £350 after two years), would be levied on employers by the local councils. In turn they, can if they wish, pass this on the employees.

However its introduction would be delayed until after a general election.

Will this help congestion?; I doubt it. The £8/day congestion charge has done little for London.

Quickbeam 17:55 31 Jul 2009

I'll start going to work in a lead balloon like many others...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:27 31 Jul 2009

With businesses struggling in a recession now is a good time to burden them further with another form of tax :0(

Nottingham has always been at the forefront of traffic control methods :
First red light camera in UK
First UK council to use digital cameras on city roads
and now first UK council to apply parking space tax.

Welcome to Nottingham!!! Please drive carefully (preferably not at all).

egapup 18:47 31 Jul 2009

I suppose the Houses of Parliament have a car park, will they be charged or will thier expenses cover it.

Forum Editor 19:00 31 Jul 2009

I drive in London pretty well every day, and have done so for many years. I noticed a big difference when the charge was introduced, and within three years the number of cars entering the zone each day had fallen by 20%. The number of buses had increased by 25% however, so the net gain in terms of vehicles on the roads was lower.

Unfortunately the benefits in terms of traffic congestion haven't been wholly sustained, and at the end of 2007 congestion was back to its pre-charging levels. Car ownership has risen during the five years that the charge has been in force, and I tend to agree with fourm member's comment that without a charge the congestion would be much worse.

Everyone who regularly drives in London (and other big cities I imagine) will be revelling in the current school holiday drop in traffic volumes. At the moment I'm regularly travelling from North London to Kew and back, a journey that can take up to an hour and a quarter each way on a gloomy winter's day. Today I did it in around 40 minutes - bliss.

peter99co 19:10 31 Jul 2009

If an employee has to pay this or use other means of getting to work as long as the Tram goes his/her way it will be fine. If you are not on the tram route then the alternative may not exist

Why should they fund other peoples transport they may never be able to use?

Quickbeam 19:15 31 Jul 2009

Also, most of these ideas assume that everyone works a convenient 9-5 when there are plenty of buses on the roads. I know from past experience that anyone starting work in the 4/7 slot, or going home in the 7/midnight slot, get a very poor service. That means their cars are still taxed for a communal benefit that they can't reasonably benefit from.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?