Another snow tale.

gengiscant 08:26 30 Nov 2010

Last year because of the amount of road grit Edinburgh had in store the council decided to only grit the main arteries though out the city and although that caused some problems in actually getting in and out and around large areas of the city,it was seen as a unique situation and largely accepted.

This year snow has come early and the council have continued their policy of only gritting the main roads, fair enough I hear you say, until you hear of the difficulties people are having getting to the main roads. I spoke to a bus driver who was 2 hours late getting to his depot, because of the difficulties he had getting to the main road to get a bus.

Postmen are also struggling to get to there delivery round start points,local shops are having difficulties getting deliveries, emergency vehicles also toiling.

I appreciate that this weather is unusual for this time of year but I feel that at least up here in Edinburgh,the council have not got things right at the moment. Mind you with our other council led fiasco still ongoing,the trams,this is not to be unexpected.

How are the rest of you folks councils handling the snow cover?

PS: Up until last year I drove all over the borders of Scotland,some of the best kept roads in regards to snow clearance I have ever come across.

birdface 09:24 30 Nov 2010

I think it is the same most places.
They grit the main roads and forget about the side roads.
Gone are the days when they used to grit all roads.

gengiscant 10:31 30 Nov 2010

"Plus, people don't sit back and say 'why isn't someone doing something?"

Lets be realistic here, the people in the rural areas are better equipped to deal with adverse weather conditions, not much call for tractors round my neck of the woods, so really is not too much I can do to clear roads.So I have to sit back and say 'why isn't someone doing something?' But a least we agreed about the general state of the roads in the Borders. A first I think.

interzone55 10:44 30 Nov 2010

What amuses me most is that loads of people have 4x4 cars these days, but they have low profile almost slick tyres on them, so they're totally useless in the snow, in fact they're totally useless on anything other than perfectly flat, dry roads.

Last year I breezed past a Range Rover Sport that was stuck. I have a 1.4l diesel Skoda Fabia, as it's front wheel drive there's a relatively heavy lump right over the driving wheels, so it's fine in snow, but driving on ice is a bit hairy...

Bapou 10:46 30 Nov 2010

Northumberland Council seem to have adopted a similar policy, main roads only and suspicions of saving money abound.

Although we live on an estate and quite a distance to the main road running through, on our street is a primary school. Until last year, (first of County Council control), because of school access the street was gritted and kept clear throughout the winter.

Not any more, until yesterday that is, we assume the headmistress of the school has bent someone's ear at the Council good and proper.

Late afternoon along came a snow plough, cutting a path down one side of the road. At least it's eased the situation and the young mothers can drive along without difficulty. Not to mention me and other residents breathing a sigh of relief.

gengiscant 11:31 30 Nov 2010

Up here in Edinburgh all schools are closed,simpler and one assumes cheaper than gritting the roads, though to be fair it has snowed on and off for three days now. I not sure why most of the little darlings cannot walk to school.How about this for an idea?the parents could walk with them.

interzone55 11:46 30 Nov 2010

"I not sure why most of the little darlings cannot walk to school.How about this for an idea?the parents could walk with them."

It's not quite that simple, yes the kids probably all live local, so could walk in, but the teachers probably don't, so need to drive in. It's no good having all the kids in school if there's no-one to teach them...

Covergirl 12:55 30 Nov 2010

Reading between the lines, I think the gritters have been so busy keeping the main arteries open, they have had to neglect the side roads.

Unfortunate, but there would be a lot more growls if the side roads were gritted/ploughed before the A & B roads.

I heard on the news this morning that there is a really inefficient and costly system in place for keeping rural roads open and it goes like this:

Local farmers (amongst others) are subcontracted to clear certain roads - they are reimbursed for their efforts and have to submit an invoice to a subcontractor who then puts their profit on it and submits it to a main contractor who then puts their profit on it and submits that to the council. So a £15 bill might end up with the council paying out £60-£100.

I'm in the wrong business.

Bapou 13:16 30 Nov 2010

Next door neighbours have his and hers BMW's, exact model? I've never taken notice.

Anyway,each Friday they travel 15 miles to collect grandchildren and bring them back here for the day. Friday past, conditions were atrocious and it took them 2 hours to travel the 15 miles.

In conversation with us about the journey she blamed much of their difficulty being the BMW is rear wheel drive.

Then she uttered the killer remark, "we noticed all the cheap cars did not seem to have these problems, being front wheel drive."

I responded, "perhaps next week you might wish to borrow my cheap car - it's a Picasso."

For some reason she has not been near our door since.

eikonuj 13:45 30 Nov 2010

I live near Heathrow Airport, we had a slight frosting this morning but it's all gone now. Just wet and cold.

anchor 13:56 30 Nov 2010

Last winter I had lots of trouble in my BMW 5 series, (with rear wheel drive), getting a grip on snow covered icy roads.

I noticed that many other cheaper cars had no problems; now I know the answer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?