Another Blackberry ad

morddwyd 08:50 27 Oct 2010

So how do you get rid of that damned Blackberry ad which seems to pop up at random?

There is no closure button that I can see.

Quickbeam 08:51 27 Oct 2010

That's because I suggested that there was sport in killing them...;)

morddwyd 08:54 27 Oct 2010

Not the little one, which you can ignore.

This is a full screen, and there appears to be no way out without a reload.

Mr Mistoffelees 09:45 27 Oct 2010

If your browser supports per-site settings, turn off Java script for this site. Stops the annoying adds and speeds-up page loading. I'm using Opera 10.63.

Al94 09:58 27 Oct 2010

It is extremely irritating to visit a website to be faced with a full page ad with a "skip this ad" function in the top right corner that doesn't work! Site owners and advertisers need to catch themselves on.

Matt Egan 11:08 27 Oct 2010

Thanks for this. I'll daintily step aside the argument about whether ads are acceptable or not, but I am concerned that the 'skip this' link isn't working for you. That, I 100% agree, is not right. Has anyone else experienced this? Incidentally, you should see that particular ad no more than once a day, so if you are seeing it frequently I'd be interested to know, too.

Matt

Blackhat 11:29 27 Oct 2010

Windows 7, home premium, IE8,(32 bit).
The skip option does not work for me. I get the add occasionally but some evenings I get it on nearly every new click, even on clicking back button. No problem on my other pc, XP home IE8

nangadef 12:18 27 Oct 2010

Vista home premium, IE8,(32 bit).

The 'skip' works for me, but I see it more than once per day.

colberly 12:39 27 Oct 2010

Vista home premium (IE8 32bit) Skip option doesn't work for me.

KremmenUK 13:31 27 Oct 2010

These multiple ads are a pain.

As the page is loading watch the ad sites in the bottom left hand corner flashing up as they load.

Quite often it will freeze on one of them which is presumably why this site is so slooooooooooooow

Woolwell 13:37 27 Oct 2010

Opera - the skip is slow to load and I see the ad several times per day.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?