Anopther EU abomination.

ened 08:14 01 Nov 2009

If today’s Express is correct the EU are trying to water down our consumer rights. The most alarming aspect of this will be the loss of the right to a refund for faulty goods.

Apparently this is to streamline the system throughout the entire EU.

Maybe it is naïve of me but why can they not increase the level of protection in other Countries to that of our consumers rather than diminishing our rights?

spuds 08:24 01 Nov 2009

The more I read into what the EU want or intend doing, the more concerned I become, because there doesn't always seems to be a straight-forward and easily understood answer.

One minute we are hearing about bent bananas not being suitable for sale, then it was a mistake, and all is fine. At the end of the day, a banana is a banana- full stop.

I suppose all this keeps many rather expensive and very expert people employed, plus an whole mountain of paper and environmental waste, so someone must be very happy, but possibly not the consumer!.

When TB becomes President, he'll soon sought it out :O((

ened 08:33 01 Nov 2009

Actually the world can now relax because it is looking as though the new EU foreign minister could be Mr Bean!

octal 08:35 01 Nov 2009

Here is the link to it click here

It's the usual problem, because we are one small country we are being forced to fall in with the majority who don't have as robust consumer rights as this country, so it makes it easier to water our rights down against all the other countries.

I'm really getting fed up with "harmonising" with everyone else when yet again when this country is being disadvantaged. It's making me wonder why we have a government here at all? Maybe that is the intention to get rid of all national governments and have one central one.

Forum Editor 08:58 01 Nov 2009

is to remove your right to a cash refund - you would still be able to get a replacement product, or a repair. The new proposal would also have to have the approval of a majority of EU members states, and that's far from being a dead cert.

octal 09:12 01 Nov 2009

I do hope you are right about it being far from a dead cert, but just the act of them discussing it indicates that someone somewhere has had this brainwave and if enough countries think it's a good idea then it will become law. Anyway, what's the matter with the cash refund?

Forum Editor 09:17 01 Nov 2009

"Anyway, what's the matter with the cash refund?"

I didn't say anything was the matter with it; in fact I didn't pass comment one way or the other - I just explained that the change is simply a proposal at the moment.

spuds 09:22 01 Nov 2009

" Anyway, what's the matter with the cash refund".

The answer may well be a very simple one. It isn't in the interest of the commercial world. Money stuck firmly in the till, is better than no money at all, especially if you are trying to run a commercial enterprise!.

octal 09:24 01 Nov 2009

Sorry, misread your post as if you were dismissing it, that's one of the problems with this non face to face communication systems you can't see the other person.

octal 09:31 01 Nov 2009

Quite, so if you purchase shoddy goods then you won't be able to get a cash refund, just an exchange for more of the same shoddy goods instead of having the option of going elsewhere with you cash. So if this is accepted then it's slanted very much in the vendors favour.

ened 10:03 01 Nov 2009

The article also mentions they want to FORBID retailers from giving refunds.

That sounds to me like another erosion of our liberty!

M&S currently offer 'no quibble' money back guarantees within a certain period and a very clever marketing tool it is. Why shouldn't they be able to continue if they so wish?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?