ammending one's Birth Certificate?allowed?

  p;3 01:19 03 Feb 2007

I am following a discussion elsewhere and it has been suggested that one can have ones Birth Certificate changed if one has one's gender changed after birth ; as far as I am aware a Birth Certificate can be ammended to show a change of sex if someone has gender reassignment surgery; but the document is a legal document stating your sex(gender) at BIRTH

it has been suggested that there is an Act that allows one to have the Birth certificate changed to show a different sex (gender) at birth ; i have only known of one case of a birth certificate being reissued due to a child being born with undescended male genitals and was mistaken for a girl and registered as such until it was realised a mistake had been made and permission given to reissue a Birth certificate with the correct gender details once corective surgery had been performed to allow the male genitals to descend and form corectly

does anyone know about an Act apparently enabling Birth Certificates to be ?reissues with a change of sex(gender) on them ?

  lotvic 01:32 03 Feb 2007

Gender Recognition Bill 2003/04 click here Campaigning for respect and equality for ALL trans people

  p;3 01:42 03 Feb 2007

I have not read it(yet)but surely what you are AT BIRTH is what you are AT BIRTH? you can have an ammendemet to the Certificate, but the FACT of your BIRTH gender should matter? or why bother with such a legal document at all?

  Forum Editor 08:06 03 Feb 2007

the Gender recognition bill seeks to provide transexual people with a new birth certificate, which they can produce when required to show evidence of the date and place of their birth, and of their sex.

The original birth certificate will not be destroyed, it will remain in the archive, but the link between the original and the revised
record will remain confidential within the Registrar General's office. Nobody will be able to see it when conducting a search, although it will be available to authorised officials under strictly-controlled circumstances, and to the individual concerned.

The new certificate will in effect be a 'document', although it will be indistinguishable from a birth certificate.

The bill was enacted in July 2004, and fast track applications for new certifcates for people who 'transitioned' at least six years ago must be made by April of this year. The applications are considered by a Gender Recognition Panel, who make the decision whether or not the applicant meets the conditions required for a new certificate - it's not an automatic process.

  lotvic 19:12 03 Feb 2007

I haven't read it either, I just did a google search for 'Birth Certificate change' and that website came up in the results.

Thank you FE for the concise summing up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone