Amercian plug and UK adaptor

wmoore 00:14 06 Jul 2010

I have noted that when I plug an US plug into an adaptor to use here in the UK the live and neutral get swapped around, as our earth is located at the top and theirs is located at the bottom, so when I plug an American plug into the adaptor the live plugs into the neutral.

Should it be like this or not.

Confused.

(And yes I know about 110V and 240V)

spuds 00:41 06 Jul 2010

Most of the 2 pin plugs are inter-changeable. But if you are unsure, then ask your local trading standards.

octal 06:06 06 Jul 2010

In most cases it doesn't matter, I say in most cases, because if you are using a lamp with ES fitting then you should connect it the right way around otherwise the outer ring of the ES fitting becomes live, you shouldn't be sticking your fingers in a live fitting anyway, but if you do then there's less chance of coming into contact with the live parts if the live is connected to the centre pin.

morddwyd 07:04 06 Jul 2010

"if you are using a lamp with ES fitting then you should connect it the right way around otherwise the outer ring of the ES fitting becomes live,"

And yet the Schuko plug, widely used as a mains plug on the mainland, as is the Edison Screw fitting referred to, is a simple two pin system.

Even with an earthed device the live and neutral are interchangeable

BT 08:12 06 Jul 2010

Wouldn't it be more sensible to just change the American plug for a standard British one then you would know the wires were in the correct places.
Voltages permitting of course

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone