That AMD HP advert stops me clicking things.

lisa02 10:46 20 Dec 2007

The title says it all.

I subscribe to the mag and do click on the adverts to help support this site but this ad is stopping all my activity. Not good.

...and while I'm moaning I often get hangs on firefox because of the mediaplex thing on here. Uusally says "waiting for adfarm mediaplex or the like.

I assume it's where the ads and tracking cookies come from.

anskyber 10:52 20 Dec 2007

I have been a "supporter" if that is the right word of advertising on this site. Like it or not adverts are the lifeblood of this site providing as it does free advice and information.

But, I agree this advert which involves a large scroll down filling a large part of the page is beyond reason. As far as I can see it does not require any mouse over to make it work, simply opening a page on which it is active will trip it.

Has PCA sunk this low? I hope not.

Jak_1 10:56 20 Dec 2007

Just click the little X at the bottom of the add to close it.

anskyber 11:07 20 Dec 2007

Yes, it can be done that way but I think it's an advertising method too far.

Adverts are a necessary requirement in fact when I remember I click on one a day to help the site along. This advert is rather brazen and I would be reluctant to purchase any product advertised in such a manner.

Jak_1 11:10 20 Dec 2007

At last it's better than the one that wants to download a file! With that one it was too easy to click the wrong box and end up having to delete the file from the hdd.

babybell 11:26 20 Dec 2007

I must admit i was having issues with it this morning, constantly having to click on close everytime i passed over the advert. I think it may be slightly too intrusive.

jtt 12:15 20 Dec 2007

With Firefox, I use the "Adblock Plus" addin which usually stops these sort of things - search for it in Google. There's probably something similar for Internet Explorer - again, try Google.

Si_L 12:20 20 Dec 2007

"With Firefox, I use the "Adblock Plus" addin which usually stops these sort of things - search for it in Google. There's probably something similar for Internet Explorer - again, try Google."

I use it too, it helps to load pages quicker and was particularly good on this site, as that stupid Merc-Benz advert kept popping up every time your mouse rolled over it. Ads are fine, intrusive ones are not.

jtt 15:50 20 Dec 2007

Si_L: yes I agree, it's the intrusive ones that I object to, not the run-of-the-mill ones.

I recognise that this forum is funded by adverts, but PCA has to understand that if the adverts are too intrusive, people are going to use ad blocking ad-ons.

laurie53 20:18 20 Dec 2007

Are these ads. selective?

I've got one for Blackberry and one for iPhone and nothing else.

realist 20:51 20 Dec 2007

I don't get any ads.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?