I'm sorry but is this really art?
click here
and was this?
click here
or this?
click here
and of course this?
click here

If this is art,then it is totally lost on me, what seems to make things worse is when I hear various critics waffle some pseudo arty farty mumbo jumbo as to why it is art.
Mind you, I even find so called old masters naff, they do nothing for me either.
I remember going out with a girl who thought I needed a bit of culture and took me to an art gallery, where I spent the most boring 4 hours of my life. Didn't even get a snog.

Kevscar1 10:01 16 Oct 2010

yes but then so am I.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:05 16 Oct 2010

They have got you talking about them and I've not seen many threads on here about the impact of Canaletto's engraving style as opposed to his painting style. Art can be about discussion not just visual appreciation.

G

muddypaws 10:14 16 Oct 2010

The second one brings back memories.

jack 10:38 16 Oct 2010

No - just a realist
The point about folk that prowl around these places is that looking at the pieces and making pronouncements thay are wrong most of the time.
Looking at impressionists for example- I was at first not at all impressed- blurry images, daubes to represent figures-
Then one day as a special constable was drafted in to route line a Royal wedding. I found my self opposite horse guard parade.
There they were- shiny armour,plumes,red tunics
It was 8 am on a misty autumn morning
What did I see?
Red daubs silver daubes and black daubes[horses] in the distance.
Similarly those blurry images of the bridge in the garden by that French impressionist- to appreciate that- you have be getting on a bit and beginning to get cataracts
Bust as for the current shower- the maker of the cow in aspic and the shark- Damien Hurst- A farmer initially, publicly admitted- He did it initially for personal fun- when someone was nutty enough to offer to buy it - who was he to argue?
As for the 'Old Masters' They were in the main were working to a commission-usually by the church or monarchy- the equivalent of to-days photo studio.
If the items are still on display 100's of years later - someone somewhere must like it.
It will only the best of the out put however.
Where will the work of Emins and Hurst be in 100/200 years I wonder?

spuds 12:27 16 Oct 2010

Art is in the eyes of the beholder, or at least that as what as been stated over the years.

A pile of bricks to some people is an artistic creation, but to others it might be a cowboy builder. Perhaps parts of dissected animals is another art-form to some, and a morbid mess to others.

What I struggle to understand is how the NHS, hospital trusts and government bodies are always complaining about funding, yet at the same time pay out massive amounts of money for 'relaxing areas' which usually carries abstract art that very few understands.

jack 12:30 16 Oct 2010

My local Hospital always has an absorbing ever changing display- at not cost
They invite local Art groups, Patients, even staff to submit to hang[Their work that is]

OTT_B 12:50 16 Oct 2010

Art, to me, should require skill. Great art should require great skill. Laying down a million sunflower seeds does not.

spuds 12:54 16 Oct 2010

We have similar schemes in some of our local hospitals and public libraries. In some cases the artist's or a representative is at hand to explain the work and possibly sell the item, for collection after the completion of the exhibition, with perhaps a small percentage of the sale price going to the funds of the property owner for some worthy cause.

Other methods have been by sponsorship via local business's.

But our local council have recently been criticised for putting up 'monuments' of art on round-abouts, or hospitals opening 'relaxing areas' paid for by the NHS.

Forum Editor 13:25 16 Oct 2010

often relies on context for effect. Pile up 100 million sunflower seeds in a field deep in the Chinese countryside, and nobody would think very much of it.

Get 1600 Chinese people to make 100 million ceramic seeds by hand, strew them on the floor of a London gallery, explain that each one represents aspects of Chinese cultural and political history, and yes, I think it can be called art.

Many people get stuck in convention, and think that 'art' can only be called that if it's a painting, or a piece of sculpture, but history says otherwise. If the impressionists hadn't challenged the accepted standards of art in the 19th century we would now have no works by such legendary artists as Degas, Monet, Pissaro, Renoir, and the others. When they first began exhibiting they received a very hostile reception - many people were shocked and horrified that such 'daubs' would be called 'art'.

What goes around comes around, as they say.

jakimo 14:27 16 Oct 2010

'100 million apparently identical sunflower seeds where you can pick up one and realise it is an individual seems to me to say a lot about both how China is run and how we think about it.'

You cant pick up the 'seeds' any longer,the exhibit is causing concern about the hazard the dust generated,so strolling through the sunflower seeds has been banned for Health and safety reasons.

So its no longer the Artistic work that was intended

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?