Am I an idiot?

Nigel60 12:19 22 Oct 2009

I may be a bit of an idiot, but can someone out there help me please?
To follow the links to an article in the magazine, where do I enter the instructions " bit.ly/TOSAs ".
Do i enter them in the web browser address bar,into the search engine or into the search bar on pcadvisor.co.uk.
I am a bit of an oldie just trying to learn a little, so any advice would be greatly received.

Cheers
Nigel60

Clapton is God 13:32 22 Oct 2009

Which magazine are you talking about and in what context does this instruction occur?

lotvic 13:57 22 Oct 2009

Tosa is a breed of dog of Japanese origin that is considered rare. Is that anything to do with it?

be 09:09 09 Dec 2009

Nigel60, you are not an idiot. I am having the same problem.As you are in the PC Advisor magazine search forum I find it strange you should have been asked "what magazine are you talking about". Anyway, have you had any replies telling you where you enter the bit.ly/5XPk0 as I also need the answer?

interzone55 10:00 09 Dec 2009

They're just standard web addresses shortened using a web service.

Enter the text as listed in the magazine without any quotes into the address bar in your web browser just as you'd enter a normal web address.

I think a quick explanation of why magazines shorten addresses is in order.

Take a look at the address of a page deep in the middle of a web site, some can be over 100 characters long, and beyond the initial domain name the rest of the address can be a seemingly random collection of characters. By using a service like Tinyurl you can shorten the address considerably making the chance of transcription errors much smaller...

be 11:00 09 Dec 2009

Thanks alan14. All sorted now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?