alternative medicine

polish 20:05 05 Mar 2008

i was wondering if anybody used alternative medicine or therapy i have recently had allergy/intolerance test for food and although no allergy some intolerance to certain foods and since cutting these out have had an quite an improvement in my symptoms also a couple that i know never goto the doctors but go to a homeopathic person and do seem healthy on what they do

Jak_1 20:16 05 Mar 2008

It all depends really! A better term would be complimentary medicine. Some like things, like seeing a chiropractor etc can be beneficial. However the use of homeopathic drugs can not only be hit and miss but also very dangerous. Drugs used by the Medical profesion are strictly regulated in all stages of development from the testing to being granted a licence and the amount of active drug in each tablet, pill, capsule or injection is very acurate. Homeopathic medicines on the other hand are not and the amount of the active drug can vary considerably in a measured quantity as these substances ie St Johns Wart, are not regulated.

Jak_1 22:01 05 Mar 2008

I meant Herbal drugs but had a mental block at the time :) Virtually all drugs are derived from plants/trees, stringent quality control goes into pharmaceutical drugs that are listed in the BNP 'British National Formulary', a book published monthly that lists all drugs, dressings and medical appliances that have been approved for medical use. It gives the does and lists possible side effects and contra-indications. Herbal medicines are not subject to this nor are homeopathic medicines. Whilst those that can be bought from reputable sources will in most cases be safe in the stated doses, there are a lot of other outlets where the strength of drug within the extacts etc can be very uncertain.
Anyone thinking of using these medicines would be advised to seek advice from their own GP before embarking on there use as they may have undesrired effects when taken with any prescribed medicines.

DrScott 00:06 06 Mar 2008

= placebo.

A lot of alternative medicine works purely due to the amount of time practioners spend with their client.

Having said that, acupuncture can be pretty effective, although it usually only provides short term relief.

peter99co 16:55 06 Mar 2008

I heard about a doctor who urgently needed a plumber, who threw two asprins down the toilet and said "if it's not cleared by morning give me a ring!"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?