Alternative Comedy Don't make my laugh

Dragon_Heart 19:39 23 Jul 2008

A couple of months ago I complained about a so called BBC comedy sketch show making cruel fun of orphan children, they replied with basically "it's alternative comedy" and "they have to cater for everyone's tastes".

The other night they same TV channel was making fun of children with ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder).

ADD, hyperactivity & related problems are very common, affecting the lives of many children and adults. The disorder is recognised as one of the most important cause of problems that some children have with their schoolwork and relationships with friends & family. These problems often have long-term consequences so that about 60 to 70% of children diagnosed with ADD have persistent problems that effect them as adults.

Who finds this funny ?

mrwoowoo 20:20 23 Jul 2008

If you kicked up about every subject that comedians or comedy shows parody,we would be left with nothing.Cue a hum brum,boring,sour faced existence.
The important thing to note is, that it's just that,comedy.Just because you can laugh at a particular subject,doesen't mean you can't take it seriously when the right situation or context presents itself.
Personally,i can laugh at any subject if it's funny as it's not a serious statement or point of view.Better to save your anger against someones misguided points of view or racist/homophobic rantings.
I thought we British were well known for our sense of humour.Obviously not.

dagbladet 20:46 23 Jul 2008

Maybe relevant, maybe not. Last year, listening to Talksport Radio, Ian Wright (ex footballer, TV and radio pundit, black guy) signs on to his show. The news of the day was the death of comedian Bernard Manning. Wright's studio partner Adrian Durham asks Wright if he ever saw Manning perform. Ian Wright then tells the story of when he was booked to do an appearance at a black tie function. After the desert course, to his horror, Bernard Manning appeared on stage and immediately launched into his raison d'etre, 'topically' adapted to name Wright as the subject matter of the first punch line. "What did you do?" asked Wright's aghast studio partner, "I laughed" responded Wright, "I just creased up and laughed", "why for gods sake?" asked Durham, because, Wright replied, "it was really, really funny".

Dragon_Heart 21:57 23 Jul 2008

Little Miss Jocelyn & Touch Me, I'm Karen Taylor are the shows.

ADD & ADHD DOES exist and is certainly not funny for any child / adult with the condition or their family.
So someone's 'misguided' points of view or racist / homophobic rantings are not funny ?

Karen Taylor is a BAFTA winning comic so someone must like her material but ........

'fourm member' " I don't have children of my own or anything to do with them so I can't say whether ADD actually exists but I'm pretty sure that some people use it as an excuse to explain away their poor parenting. " So what actual experience do you base that on ?

Back in 2003 Ian Wright alleged he was racially abused when he celebrated a goal by his son. The West London man was charged with using racially aggravated threatening words and behaviour at a Carling Cup tie between QPR and Man' City.

In April of this year Ian Wright said he no longer wished to work at the BBC, claiming he was made "a comedy jester" by the corporation.

So some things ar'n't funny !

'mrwoowoo' " I thought we British were well known for our sense of humour. Obviously not. " It would appear we have almost a childlike / playground attitude towards using 'special needs' people for comedy material.

No the British are well known for making fun of those who can't defend themselves.

dagbladet 22:35 23 Jul 2008

"Back in 2003 Ian Wright alleged he was racially abused when he celebrated a goal by his son. The West London man was charged with using racially aggravated threatening words and behaviour at a Carling Cup tie between QPR and Man' City."

That's the point Wright was trying to make on the show. For all he finds racism abhorrent , he couldn't help laughing because Manning's joke was funny.

DrScott 22:48 23 Jul 2008

have ADHD.

Others just have bad parents.

rdave13 23:02 23 Jul 2008

Maybe some modicum of common sense should raise it's ugly head here.
We all live in the same world and have to accept riddicule as part of every day living. Unless we are ordained as perfect then we must accept our failings, whatever they are, and accept them graciously. Also as the 'big wheel turns' retaliate in the same humour.
Sometimes, though, to raise awareness about life's difficulties then humour, used properly, is an extreamly powerful tool.
Your thread starter is unfair methinks as you've not really delved or researched it properly.
Just my thoughts.

Dragon_Heart 00:16 24 Jul 2008

"We all live in the same world and have to accept riddicule as part of every day living." Why do we ?

"Unless we are ordained as perfect then we must accept our failings, whatever they are, and accept them graciously." Agree but why make fun of those who can't defend themselves.

"Also as the 'big wheel turns' retaliate in the same humour." If Manning had made a joke of say Mike Tyson with Mike Tyson in the front row I am sure he would have seen the funny side of it ?

"Your thread starter is unfair methinks as you've not really delved or researched it properly."

I am afraid I know quite a bit about ADD and the death of mothers during childbirth (Little Miss Jocelyn).

Chegs ®™ 03:38 24 Jul 2008

MY opinion is that the banner of "alternative comedy" is used when the subject of the joke is likely to provoke anger in some people "How dare they make fun of ADD sufferers" yet the majority find it can be interpreted as funny.There are jokes such as "my sat-nav must have tourettes..." with assorted punchlines,these are not mocking tourettes sufferers but the idea of a sat-nav that swears would make lots smile.There are scores of alternative comedians I find utterly boring,yet I keep hearing about them getting rave reviews so somebody finds their material amusing.

DANZIG 09:06 24 Jul 2008

A few years back, he made a little gag about Alzheimer's.

He got so much flak about that but defended it on National TV by saying that why can we make gags about some people but not others.

I totally agree. Although Alzheimer's is terrible, so are many other things that comedian's make jokes about - so why should a few conditions be taboo?

Also, if you don't like it - don't watch/listen to it.

Seth Haniel 09:16 24 Jul 2008

Brass Eye then :0

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 review

Be inspired by powerful National Theatre posters from the past 50 years

How to use the new Photos, Notes and Safari features in macOS High Sierra

Galaxy Note 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie