Alternative Christmas

Bingalau 16:34 05 Dec 2006

Just come across this in a BBC Daily News Letter "Veiled woman to give C4's speech
A veiled Muslim woman is to deliver Channel 4's alternative Christmas message, the broadcaster announces." I didn't know there was an alternative to Christmas. I thought other religions had their own special days etc. How long will it be before we have a Muslim King or Queen? ..Bingalau..

Kate B 16:40 05 Dec 2006

Channel 4 has always done an alternative Christmas message - it goes out at the same time as the Queen on the BBC and provides an, er, alternative to her.

Cymro. 17:20 05 Dec 2006

I assume that all the above is some sort of P.C. thing.

So now will come all the "has the world gone mad" or "P.C. has gone over the top" postings.

Kate B 17:23 05 Dec 2006

Nope, not necessarily PC - Ali G did the alternative Christmas message one year. It's an alternative message, not an alternative Christmas.

Kate B 17:25 05 Dec 2006

From the Guardian's website

"Channel 4's alternative Christmas message, which will be produced by independent company Chameleon TV, will air at 3pm on Christmas Day against the Queen's traditional broadcast on BBC1 and ITV1.

The broadcaster began its alternative Christmas messages in 1993 and has previously featured a varied selection of speakers including Quentin Crisp, the Reverend Jesse Jackson, Doreen and Neville Lawrence, Ali G, Sharon Osbourne and The Simpsons."

lisa02 17:40 05 Dec 2006

Nothing wrong with Muslims, if we had a Muslim Monarch then, well we have a Muslim Monarch. I fail to see why the Monarchy is there anyway... it's not needed.

And in regards to the alternative Christmas message (not alternative Christmas, Christmas is what you make it!) I don't watch TV on Christmas Day, never have.

Watchful 17:49 05 Dec 2006

Never watch the Queen's Christmas message so I'm not likely to watch an alternative one whoever delivers it.

Cymro. 17:53 05 Dec 2006

It seems you will get a better Christmas than many of us.

If we do ever manage to get rid of the monarchy then it would be an even better Christmas for you and me.

Forum Editor 18:11 05 Dec 2006

before we have a Muslim King or Queen?"

Never - unless the rules of monarchy undergo a radical change. The monarch is traditionally the head of the Church of England, and you can't hold that position if you're a Muslim.

Happy now?

Bingalau 19:09 05 Dec 2006

No not happy at all. Although I do not support the Monarchy, I do not see the need for an extra message at Christmas. Why someone in a veil? Mind you that would be better than Sharon Osbourne! Come to that I don't see the need for one at all. We will be having two National Anthems next. The dirge we've got is bad enough. Enough said I suppose before I get chucked off... ..Bingalau..

Kate B 19:10 05 Dec 2006

Bingalau - a tip. Don't watch it if you don't like the idea. What a waste of energy to rant about something as minor as that! I'm with you on the monarchy, though ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?