For all the photographers on the forum

Legolas 21:39 20 Apr 2010

I bought a Tiffen 58mm Graduated ND .6 (4x) Filter for my Nikon d5000 using an 18mm-200mm vr lens. I did not do my homework very well beforehand (fool I hear you cry) and have just realised that I need a 72mm filter to fit this lens, I can just return it...but is there a way to use this filter with the lens I have?

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:51 20 Apr 2010

Indeed you can...... click here

G

Legolas 22:05 20 Apr 2010

thanks Gandalf. Now I will have to price a 72mm filter and see if it would be just as cheap to return the 52mm and get the 72mm or if buying the adapter will be cheaper. Also would using the 52mm instead of the 72mm filter result in inferior quality photo's?

Legolas 22:07 20 Apr 2010

sorry please read 58mm for 52mm in the above post.

Legolas 22:11 20 Apr 2010

sorry please read 58mm for 52mm in the above post.

hssutton 22:44 20 Apr 2010

As Gandalf as pointed out you can use a stepping ring, but a difference of 14mm may cause vignetting.

However I foresee problems with using the grad, especially if the front element of your lens rotates, as you could be forever adjusting the orientation of the filter so that the darkest part of the grad is uppermost.

You would be far better buying the Cokin filter holder and using square filters

click here

other makes such as Hoya are available and also cheaper

donki 11:27 21 Apr 2010

I am with Hutton on this I didnt like the screw in ND or ND grad filters at all. You will get vignetting at wide angles, more so with you with an adaptor.

I used to have the Cokin filter system which was good but depending on your lens diameter and how wide you want to go you should look at the Lee filter system or the Hi-Tech one. Both are exspensive but well worth it.

Some of the cheaper ND filters (especially at high F-Stops) cause a nasty colour cast. This can be corrected on a full ND filter but not an ND Grad.

Legolas 13:47 21 Apr 2010

Thanks for the advice, as I have ordered the Filter already and cannot cancel I will get a stepdown ring and give it a try if it is not good I will sell it. On a more general note I am new to photography (as if you didn't know that already)so do you have any tips you can pass on although I know that most photographers develop(no pun intended)their own methods over time.

hssutton 14:31 21 Apr 2010

The best tip I can give is join an on-line photo forum. Most members are only to pleased to advise on any aspect of photography.

I'm a member of several forums, but for ease of navigation and uploading of photos, plus friendly advice the following takes some beating
click here

donki 15:05 21 Apr 2010

Best advice I can give is stick with it and dont expect to much to soon. If you have only started using your DSLR it can be daunting and a lot of people expect that it will do all the work, it wont.

Try not to use the AUTO modes and use the more of the semi AUTO ones such as aperture or shutter speed priority. These will give you a greater understanding of how the camera works and how shutterspeed, aperture and ISO all work together.

I could go on and on but as has been said there are many photography forums that offer advice and will happily look at your work.

Hopefully see you winning a PCAdvisor prise sometime soon :).

Legolas 18:35 21 Apr 2010

Thanks for the tips. hssutton will have look at the forum you link to. donki I know what you mean a good camera and a good lens does not necessarily mean good photos I suppose it is learning how to use both to there fullest potential

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?