For all our American members

Bingalau 14:15 04 Jul 2008

Have a nice day!!!

Cymro. 15:29 04 Jul 2008

So what do they do to celebrate the fourth of July then? Is it what we would call a bank holiday? Do they have a special meal to mark the occasion?

Clapton is God 16:27 04 Jul 2008

Apparently they celebrate and have "patriotic displays" (a visit to McDonald's, presumably)click here .

Although it's beyond me why anyone would want to 'celebrate' independence from the UK. ;-)

J B 20:06 04 Jul 2008

Thank you very much and the same back at you.

For others: The reason that we celebrate the Fourth of July is in part being independent from the U.K. but more importantly to celebrate the birth of a new nation and the ability to govern that Nation called "The United States Of America". I hope that explains why we celebrate the Fourth of July. J.B.

Bingalau 20:50 04 Jul 2008

J B. Seems we have a few misery guts on here, the same ones probably don't celebrate St. George's Day either. Personally I hope you are having a really good day. Don't drink and drive though. As I am not going anywhere tonight I think I will pour myself a Dark and Stormy. I deserve it!

laurie53 20:55 04 Jul 2008

It's much more than a Bank Holiday and is really a national and shared celebration.

I once had the great pleasure of being invited to join an American family for the 4th, and the pleasure and memories are with me yet.

Incidentally, I saw no "patriotic displays", just people, who admittedly do some things differently, enjoying themselves and sharing it with me.

I echo Bingalau's good wishes.

bluto1 21:48 04 Jul 2008

If I remember rightly about your birthright that was a very tongue in cheek remark, and I like it.
From a fellow Jackeen.

rdave13 21:59 04 Jul 2008

Yup, and if we have only one forum member from across the pond, then have a great celebration.

Clapton is God 05:52 05 Jul 2008

I gather that a 'Jackeen' is someone from Dublin click here

In which case, you've got the wrong person.

natdoor 11:53 05 Jul 2008

It did not go down well when a colleague, during a business trip to the States, explained in jest that it was called Thanksgiving in the UK.

Forum Editor 12:04 05 Jul 2008

in America, and I hope they all had a good time yesterday. my wife and I joined some American clients for their 4th July party, and they made us very welcome - we had a wonderful time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?