Alex Salmond to stand for UK Parliament?

Forum Editor 09:00 07 Dec 2014

Almost certainly, by the sound of it.

So, how is this going to play out?

natdoor 11:02 07 Dec 2014

If, in the event of a No vote, he had made his intention to stand for Westminster public then I'm sure rUK would have supported independence.

john bunyan 11:53 07 Dec 2014

spider9

" and subsequently become more visible within UK politics."

Some believe that the SNP could get over 30 MP's in, and at the other political extreme, UKIP could get quite a few, with the Lib Dems losing out. It makes for an interesting political mix at the next General election. It is possible that the Labour party gets less seats than the Tories, but the SNP would get them into Government with an ad hoc deal rather than a true coalition. If that happens, God help the deficit and National Debt.

john bunyan 12:32 07 Dec 2014

spider9

"So I am very philosophical in the matter, it will likely make no difference who gets in - we are all doomed!"

We are agreed!!!

Belatucadrus 17:52 07 Dec 2014

I think Salmond threw away the referendum, If he'd come up with some serious answers to the questions on currency and EU membership instead of his childish sticking his fingers in his ears metaphorically going "nah nah nah can't hear you", pretending it wasn't an issue or it was all a plot. I think he could have won.

Woolwell 18:03 07 Dec 2014

I have wondered for some time what would happen if UKIP rebranded as ENP.

morddwyd 18:56 07 Dec 2014

"I think he could have won."

He probably would have won, but for the last minute intervention of a rejuvenated Gordon Brown.

Once a competent politician got involved in the "No" campaign (and love him or hate him, GB is certainly an able politician) the result became more uncertain. Darling nearly blew it.

With Alex at Westminster maybe GB will try Holyrood (Yes, I know he's said he won't). If so look for a tremendous resurgence of the Labour party in Scotland. He is very popular.

Woolwell 19:25 07 Dec 2014

Gordon Brown is not seeking re-election as an MP.

morddwyd 06:40 08 Dec 2014

"So I would think not the most popular person in Scotland at the moment."

He isn't, but he is still very popular, arguably the most popular of any Westminster politician.

I doubt if he would have any difficulty in getting a seat at Holyrood, especially in his own constituency ofKirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath, where he has massive support.

john bunyan 09:16 08 Dec 2014

I do approve of the latest "law" change brought in by the Scottish parliament

A smaller wee dram

spuds 14:10 08 Dec 2014

I seem to recall the Sunday drink laws that was once used in Scotland. Didn't someone called Leo Starkey made a few changes there?.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?