Alcohol,Pregnancy and WiFi

TalYasis 09:37 25 May 2007

The current majority view to claims that wi-fi may damage young children is Bad Science.

The official line for drinking alcohol during pregnancy is still that 1 or 2 units/week is safe.
However,the current updated medical advice from health workers is zero units.Is the latter Bad Science or just pure common sense?

Recall the old wives tale ' mother's ruin '?
We don't need to wait for scientists to tell us all about the obvious dangers in our lives.

Or do you?

Zaphod 3 09:45 25 May 2007

To be perfectly honest I am somewhat cynical about these warnings, as over the years with all the things that are supposed to be bad or dangerous for us, it is a wonder that the human race lasted 5 minutes!!!

Kate B 09:56 25 May 2007

Actually, if you read the story properly, the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists is sticking by its view that moderate drinking is fine: this is a government piece of advice, based on no new health evidence.

What makes me cross about this story is that it apparently comes from a worry that women might be confused by what's "moderate" so we poor dense little airheaded baby-growers shouldn't worry our pretty little heads working that out for ourselves and just not drink at all.

There's a growing view that pregnant women are somehow public property - I pointed out on a recent thread the worrying trend in the US, where women of reproductive age have been encouraged to consider themselves "pre-pregnant" and just stay away from all bad things at all times to avoid endangering a putative future foetus.

It's a regressive step, one that depersonalises women and reduces them to the status of vessels for a foetus. It's a mindset that leads to the kind of repressive moves to remove the right to abortion that we're seeing in the US and while I'm irritated at the tone of the government advice, it also worries me as a step in the wrong direction towards a US-style approach.

mammak 11:05 25 May 2007

Any woman that drinks to the point that she risks the health/life of her unborn child,
is a mindless, selfish, irresponsible twit and should not even consider calling her self a mother to be in the first place!

and yet another health warning regarding the effects of alcohol in pregnancy isn't exactly going to hit home with women like that now is it.

TalYasis 11:15 25 May 2007

I believe that in many cases the unborn baby with it's underdeveloped liver cannot cope with small amounts of alcohol.
We know that many woman feel the effects of booze even after drinking a thimble full or so.

Plus the all important fact that the baby's brain is just developing and the alcohol can make the cells lose thier natural direction.

It does seem hard on woman but do they pray for a very healthy baby and carry on drinking or play it safe.

Recently I was shocked to see a very heavily pregnant lady smoking;I felt that see should be locked away until after the birth.

Kate B 12:17 25 May 2007

Hmm, while I'm all in favour of encouraging women to be healthy during their pregnancies, I do think we must remember that women are adults who can make their own decisions and don't need patronising "advice" based on no evidence from the government, nor do they need lecturing and censure from other people. Let's not forget that most of our mothers - mine, certainly - probably smoked and drank through their pregnancies with no obvious ill effects on their children.

I don't want to play down or dismiss the dangers of overdoing it, but equally I want to stress that being pregnant doesn't make you public property. You're still an adult with rights to self-determination, not someone who's suddenly become detatched from their brain and their maturity and someone to be treated as nothing more than a vessel for the foetus.

picklsey 13:19 25 May 2007

for once i actually agree with all of what you say.i believe there wanting to put health warnings on drinks for all these stupid woman (oh i just hope they can read).but if you look back this is how the anti-smoking lobby started,first a lot of lies put out probably to judge reaction then warning labels and so on,its just the drinkers turn now.what next!

mammak 13:46 25 May 2007

For many years it has been known that excessive drinking in pregnancy can lead to a number of foetal abnormalities nothing new there,

I wont argue that an odd glass of wine is about to do your unborn child any great harm!

This was never an issue for me as I could not stand the smell of alcohol during any of my pregnancies so I never drank whilst pregnant,

But I still stand by my first post that women who drink excessively in pregnancy are mindless, selfish and irresponsible

these health warnings are guidelines advice no one as I see it is being forced to go along with them, but if you chose to ignore them and your baby ends up harmed by your doings what then?

Kate B 14:32 25 May 2007

I don't think that kind of tone, however well-meant, is likely to encourage anyone to behave themselves, and that's one of the issues. That's not a criticism of you, mammak, but a comment in general: most people, including pregnant women, tend to rebel if someone waggles a finger under their nose and tells them how to behave. It's infantalising - never a good thing.

wee eddie 15:24 25 May 2007

that I think that we can safely take anything that our Government with a pinch of Salt. Mind you - Not too much Salt because it may harm you.

Irrespective of that, we used to be paid in Salt.

Any excess of anything is likely to harm you and also any wee person that is relying on you for nourishment. There is a remarkable piece of the body called the placenta which filters and prepares nourishment for the embryo and then the baby. It's done a good job for the last 8 to 10 millennia.

If you wake up at 3am with a strong desire for a glass of Guinness. Go with the flow.

I would think that it's pretty stupid getting rat-arsed on a Saturday Night whether you're pregnant or not. The same goes for blokes.

Guardianangel 15:41 25 May 2007

That is so true. Advice changes every decade or so and although it's not wise to drink heavily whilst pregnant, or smoke for that matter, the emphasis should be on moderation.

I don't drink but smoked, not heavily, through three pregnancies and my children did not suffer at all. In fact, my midwife offered me one during my home labour. How times have changed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?