Alan Ball

hzhzhzhz 19:53 25 Apr 2007

The headline story in my local paper this evening started with the sentence
"World Cup winning football legend Alan Ball died of a heart attack early today while tackling a bonfire in his garden"
Surely it could have been worded better, or is it my sense of humour.
Was it foul play?.

Totally-braindead 19:57 25 Apr 2007

You think it could have been worded better then say was it foul play. Come on thats a bit of the kettle calling the pot black isn't it?

I've never actually heard of him at all, I really know nothing about football but I'm sure I will learn something about him in the next few days.

Stuartli 20:05 25 Apr 2007

Alan Ball was a superb footballer at both league and international level, was a member of the England 1966 World Cup team (Man of the Match) and also managed several clubs.

I knew him and his equally charismatic Dad, also Alan, very well and spent many, many happy and entertaining hours with both when working as a sports journalist.

Prior to that I had enjoyed Alan Junior's key role in the wonderful football played on the pitch and subsequent League and Cup honours gained by my team, Everton, in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

Totally-braindead 20:06 25 Apr 2007

Stuartli told you I knew nothing about football. Now I know.

Bingalau 20:41 25 Apr 2007

Stuartli.
I've been waiting for someone else to bring Alan Ball into the forum. I am also an Evertonian and enjoyed watching him play in the Holy Trinity (Ball Kendall and Harvey) many times. Everton bought him after his World Cup Exploits when he was man of the match as well as being the youngest player in the England team. He was bought from Blackpool by Everton for the then princely sum of £110,000 and sold to Arsenal for double that a few years later. He also played for Blackpool before Everton and for Southhampton afterwards. I remember he managed Manchester City and Portsmouth at various times in his career. I spoke to him on a couple of occasions and he seemed a really nice man. What a shame that only the good die young.

Stuartli 21:12 25 Apr 2007

I used to cover Blackpool when Alan Junior was manager - he hated criticism of the team but loved praise...:-)

Strangely enough he was never as successful a manager as he was a player, whereas his Dad did reasonably well as a manager but sadly was killed in Cyprus in the early 1980s in a car crash; Alan Junior also lost his wife through cancer about three years ago.

g0nvs 21:19 25 Apr 2007

I was priveleged to watch him play many times.

g0slp 21:19 25 Apr 2007

I remember Alan Ball as part of the 1969-70 Everton side. One of the best players of his generation.

Vale Alan

Bingalau 21:24 25 Apr 2007

Stuartli. Now got me guessing which paper you worked for. I've got an inkling it is in the Lancashire area, but may even be the Liverpool Echo? I think most Evertonians put Alan Ball up there with the "Golden Vision". Of course I remember seeing the great Dixie play so I still think he was the best. But for some reason in Derby games I loved to watch Billy Liddel dashing down the wing.

Z1100 21:31 25 Apr 2007

a funny headline and would even break a smile on the face of those that knew the man well.

There must be plenty other intended puns out there for the dead famous, not that I can think of any but you lot can.

Hanx!
K.

Stuartli 22:36 25 Apr 2007

I've got an inkling you may be right...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone