Al-Qaeda plot to blow up UK internet

Belatucadrus 14:35 12 Mar 2007

click here

"Police have uncovered a plot to blow up the UK's internet hub in London, according to reports from the Sunday Times. If successful, the suspected Al-Qaeda plot could have knocked out most of Britain's internet services."

Bingalau 14:37 12 Mar 2007

No worries here, the FE would have us up and running again in no time.

The Brigadier 14:44 12 Mar 2007

Credible threats against multi targets like this are commonplace since 9/11. However some are deemed a higher threat than others.

Security within the Internet & through Internet services are monitored more closely since the level of threat against main land UK was stepped up from the July 7th bombings in London.

Story’s often appear about cyber crime or attacks and this is when security of sites are scrutinised in more detail. But however much security you place on a site their will always be one person who will try however they can to disrupt it.

Basically no need to panic.

wee eddie 14:54 12 Mar 2007

I don't think that any of us would notice!

I can remember a thread, in the very dim and distant past, when someone from Peking suggested that the amount of time one's site was down was critical and if it exceeded a certain figure, then one should consider all sorts of violent action.

However, onward and upward.

By the way I think that we're heading for another collapse. This site is becoming very temperamental again.

€dstowe 15:31 12 Mar 2007

I'm a bit doubtful about this. If they knocked out the Internet, this would remove one of their main means of communication not only in the UK but with their lords, masters and associates abroad.

WhiteTruckMan 15:51 12 Mar 2007

the internet was designed to survive having large chunks blown out of it in a nuclear war.

WTM

johndrew 16:02 12 Mar 2007

Depends on the size of the chunk ;-)

Belatucadrus 16:47 12 Mar 2007

While the net itself would survive, take out the London hub and the UKs own little corner of it would become a mess.

Forum Editor 17:00 12 Mar 2007

Thanks for that massive vote of confidence - really appreciated. Any time you would like a detailed explanation of the complexities of keeping a site like this up and running on a 24/7/365 basis just let me know.

On a more serious note, it must have been pretty obvious to the security agencies that the internet hubs are a prime target for terrorist activity, and I imagine there's some industrial-strength security in place at Telehouse. I certainly hope so - I have a server running there, and if it goes a large slice of my business goes with it. Needless to say, I have today taken steps to cover that risk, but it's a tad worrying, nevertheless.

WhiteTruckMan 17:19 12 Mar 2007

something along the lines of eggs and baskets?

WTM

wee eddie 17:27 12 Mar 2007

We all have an inkling of the complexities of your job.

I was just casting my mind back and my memory is probably defective. Anyway we were all just a tad idealistic in those days.

I had no intention of causing offence

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?