The ageing process

Kate B 23:43 29 Apr 2007

I had a rather depressing eye test today which told me that my astigmatism has got quite a bit worse over the past couple of years, which apparently is part of the ageing process. Then the 12-year-old optician cheerfully told me that he thought I'd need bifocals in a couple of years time, which really took me by surprise.

So I'm deeply grouchy about the ageing process today. I'm only 43, I'm not grey (naturally!), I still go out clubbing with my mates, love parties ... it feels like a horrible disconnect between my head and my eyes.

What is taking you by surprise as you get older? What do you hate/resent about it? What do you like about it?

Woolwell 23:49 29 Apr 2007

Taking by surprise - how the years (let alone the days, weeks, months) fly by.
Resent - the aches and pains.
Like - being old enough to firstly have children and then old enough to have a grandchild.

g0slp 23:54 29 Apr 2007

12 year old optician, Kate?

Shorely shome mishtake...;)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:56 29 Apr 2007

My eyes started to go at approx the same age as yours, cannot read anything now without my glasses.

Next to go (or possibly sooner if you worked in a noisy environment) is the hearing.
Too late to worry now Kate, the clubbing will have taken its toll on yours ears (if not the liver).

In a year or two the knees will be hurting as you come down the stairs.

For men, there is an inability to get through the night without having to "go" at least once.

All the above seem to come on as you get through the forties.

The surprise for me was how fast my eyes seem to get worse always need another better pair of glasses at the two yearly test.

P.S. forgot about the hair going grey, but I think that makes me look more distinguished.

;0)

Kate B 00:04 30 Apr 2007

I've always been shortsighted - worn glasses or lenses since I was eight, so a change in my prescription isn't a surprise. What was a horrible surprise was to be told that this particular change was an age-related thing.

My motto is "growing old disgracefully". I just wish it were more of the disgraceful and less of the growing old *heavy sigh*

Forum Editor 00:26 30 Apr 2007

is something that takes all of us slightly by surprise - mainly because we don't think about it until forcibly reminded, as has happened to you.

I've noticed several changes in myself as I've got older; I'm more tolerant for one thing. I'm still right most of the time, of course, but I've become more amenable to persuasion - to the possibility that I might perhaps have got something slightly wrong. It's not altogether an unpleasant thing, because with maturity comes peace of mind - the feeling that you don't have to prove yourself any more.

Physically I suffer from the same problem as you - my eyesight has deteriorated, and I need glasses to read and see my screen. I don't need to use the loo in the night, and my knees don't hurt as I go downstairs, but I'm not as slim as I used to be. My wife tells me it's OK - I'm tall, so I can get away with it, but I suspect she's being kind. In any event, it's not something tht worries me.

Finally, there's the memory thing - I'm definitely not as good as I was when it comes to remembering names. I meet a lot of people, and it can be embarrassing when someone comes up and starts chatting away. I remember their face, but sometimes the name just won't come. I've learned a few little tricks to overcome the problem, but it's a sign the years are rolling on.

In the main I don't worry about age, it's inevitable, and there's absolutely nothing I can do about it. I certainly don't lose a second's sleep over it.

Kate B 00:32 30 Apr 2007

On the plus side, I'm much more at ease with myself and generally more up for trying things. I've tried all sorts of things in my 40s that I wouldn't have tried in my 20s or 30s. I also worry less what people think about me - I generally reckon that the people who don't like me are a) outnumbered by the people who do like me and b) not terribly important to me anyway, and that's a good feeling.

I'm also much more confident of my talents and skills than I was 10 or 20 years ago, which is also nice. I'm still reasonably slim and I look younger than I am (especially in a dark club ;-) )

So I guess not all bad. Thanks, all, for making me think of the good things.

Forum Editor 00:34 30 Apr 2007

as if your universe is unfolding as it should.

I particularly endorse the "I also worry less what people think about me" comment.

TOPCAT® 01:12 30 Apr 2007

think it gave me the 'distinguished' look. I also like to think it wasn't because I got married at that time either!! :o) I had a twenty eight inch waist too and ate like a horse but never gained an ounce. My eyesight was excellent and my distance vision superb, but I've had a colour vision problem since birth that has shut the door to many professions I once aspired to.

Now I am much older, my hair is now completely white and thinning on top. The waistline has increased considerably, even though I eat less and exercise quite regularly. I now need distance glasses for driving and reading classes for close work; in fact I need glasses to find my other glasses if I've forgotten where I put them down! This memory lapse is getting worse and, just like the FE, I am dreadful at remembering names but, thankfully, not the wife's! :o)

Even though I'm long retired I like to keep active. There is always something to do, like keeping the old car in top shape, but I get angry with myself when I find I'm struggling with lifting heavy objects, which I could do with ease just ten or so years before. In my case, I find the brain is telling me I can still do manual things but the body soon starts complaining when I do, and that's when I get angry with myself again!

Throughout my adult life I've always followed the old maxim: "You are only as old as you feel." I've tended to cheat on this in recent years and attempted foolhardy things I shouldn't have. That's when old age tends to turn around on you and kick you in the teeth! Grow old gracefully if you possibly can and never, ever lose your sense of humour. TC.

ashdav 02:18 30 Apr 2007

The reason your eyesight changes as you get older is due to the general loss of muscle tone over your whole body. ie things start to sag.
The range over which your eye can focus remains roughly the same but the starting point (default) changes over time as your iris muscles relax with age.
The general effect is to make one become longsighted.
The point where your eyes can focus gradually moves away from your face up to the point where your arms aren't long enough then you need glasses!
By the way,everyone gets older but being old is in your head.

Monoux 07:19 30 Apr 2007

Life is like a loo roll -- the closer it gets to the end the faster it goes. :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?