Age old problem, Neighbours hedge

  Pamy 16:28 20 Oct 2009

Hello everyone, My friends neighbours have a Leylandy hedge between their front garden & my friends front garden about 8ft high. My friends have a wooden fence their side, 3ft hight. Every year my friends neighbours would cut the hedge and ask if it would be OK to come on his garden and trim the hedge and remove the trimmings.

My friends neighbours are now both house bound, the husband having had a stroke and totally immobile. My friends problem is that they are too old to trim the edge back that is now growing over their fence and feels that his neighbour should employ someone to do it as he used to do but, is reluctant to broach the subject with them. What do you think and what advice can you offer?

  lotvic 16:37 20 Oct 2009

In my area 'Age Concern' have a 'Fix-it' team and part of that is Gardening. Your neighbours would probably be glad to know of the services available to them at very reasonable cost (£10 per hour) that includes house decorating and repairs as well.

Maybe if you found out if there is a similar scheme where you are they would be relieved to get some help.

  Pamy 16:43 20 Oct 2009

Thanks for that info lotvic, I will pass that on

  spuds 16:59 20 Oct 2009

Some council's provide a service or advice for this type of issue. Our local council and Age Concern both have 'handy-person' teams, offering services at discount prices or for free in special circumstances.

  spuds 17:06 20 Oct 2009

I forgot to mention another possibility that might provide a solution, and perhaps worth checking. The Probation Service in conjunction with the courts, police and local council's may have a Community Pay-Back scheme, when teams of supervised 'offenders' are put to work in the community. We have just had a number of teams working in the area on pensioner's and council properties. The teams are a mixture of male and female participants, who all seemed very capable of doing the tasks given to them.

  Pamy 17:06 20 Oct 2009

Thanks spuds, similar info as lotvic, but my friend is reluctant to raise the matter with his neighbours, but I will pass the info on.

  Forum Editor 17:41 20 Oct 2009

or able to do the job themselves?

That would seem to be the quickest route from A to B. In view of the situation with the neighbours it might be worth your friends suggesting that the Leylandii trees are stopped at a suitable height by taking the tops out. This won't stop them growing, but it will slow them down.

The law says that you can trim your neighbour's hedge if it encroaches on your property, but technically you should return the trimmings to the neighbour - they are his/her property.

You don't have to ask permission to trim the side of the hedge, but legally you mustn't take the top out unless you have consent. If you can't get a neighbour to agree to stop the height of a Leylandii hedge you can ask the local authority to deal with the matter. They have powers to issue an order to reduce the height up to a maximum of two metres. That might sound a lot, but an unchecked Leylandii hedge will grow to a height of 60 feet quite rapidly if it has good growing conditions.

If you ask the local authority to intervene they'll want to see evidence that you have tried to resolve the problem with your neighbours first.

  the hick 17:53 20 Oct 2009

I would reckon, and assuming this is not a local authority owned property, the authority will want a fat fee before doing anything. Ours wants £300, and then no guarantee of success. Probably cheaper to pay someone to trim them!

  Pamy 18:01 20 Oct 2009

Hello FE, my freinds are not objecting to the present height of the hedge although I think they would like it lower. The hedge is now growing over their fence and now infringing about 2Ft over their garden. They have never had a problem before as the neighbour has always cut it back, but now is unable to do so any more. My friends are unable to cut it back themselves as they just are too old to tackle it. They think their neighbours should deal with the matter, but just cannot bring themselves to to go round and broach the subject.

  Forum Editor 18:07 20 Oct 2009

If they can't do the job themselves, and they can't bring themselves to talk to their neighbours about it they have a problem.

They might get a charitable concern to do the job once, but that's no good, it has to be an ongoing thing. My view is that your friends should bite the bullet and talk with their neighbours - they'll have to do it eventually, so best to get it over with.

  Pamy 18:26 20 Oct 2009

Thanks everyone for your advice and info. I will telephone my friends latter tonight and pass on your comments. I will let you all know the result and any outcome latter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?