After The Failed Conker Crop

Quickbeam 08:54 23 Nov 2010

a bumper mistletoe crop click here to make up for it...

gengiscant 09:19 23 Nov 2010

I think you will find that the health and safety brigade will be overjoyed by the sparse conker crop,less conkers less potential harm to our children.

What about Mistletoe,are the berries not poisonous? if so, should we be putting ourselves at risk for a fleeting moment of passion?

I really do not think enough importance is placed on health and safety in our pursuit of pleasure in human interactions, I for one shall not be kissing under the mistletoe, I shall be kissing under the influence.

gengiscant 11:38 23 Nov 2010

"Good to see the old conker myth still doing the rounds"
When did it turn into a myth? "a person or thing existing only in imagination,or whose actual existence is not verifiable"
click here
click here

Strawballs 12:35 23 Nov 2010

There seem to be a bumper crop of conkers round here when we went collecting with kids

interzone55 14:01 23 Nov 2010

"When did it turn into a myth?"

It's a myth because it's never, ever been official policy, just a very few schools being far, far too careful.

hssutton 14:35 23 Nov 2010

And the same here.

carver 15:00 23 Nov 2010

And how many schools have to engage in this "myth" before it turns into fact.

click here

click here

click here

gengiscant 17:12 23 Nov 2010

"And it's a 'myth' because that's what HSE calls it"
Well thats a relief.

But my links pointed to a health and safety issue as some head teachers were concerned about nut allergies.
A quote from the BBC article:
"Several schools have banned the game because of nut allergies, others because of safety fears"
That looks like a health and safety issue to me.

Quickbeam 17:18 23 Nov 2010

More of a paranoia issue if you ask me...

spuds 17:25 23 Nov 2010

Plenty of conkers around our area as well as are acorns. The squirrels are having to sign-up to weight-watchers.

Forum Editor 17:30 23 Nov 2010

It looks like school-teachers being afraid of being sued by litigation-minded parents to me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?