Advertising

sean-278262 19:10 05 Oct 2006

Am I the only one who is finding these new pop up adverts a pain? I am seriously thinking about moving on from PCA as they are really annoying as I tend to hover my mouse as I read so I am getting a bit tired of closing ad windows hiding the text I am trying to read. I know the site has to have adverts but I would much rather standard ads than these ones. Does anyone else find them annoying?

lisa02 19:13 05 Oct 2006

pop ups?

Not here...

The only ones are the top and side panels aswell and the hyperlinks. They go away after a split second when you pass your mouse over them.

sean-278262 19:16 05 Oct 2006

No pop ups as such. Just they pop over the rest of the text but sit there annoyingly for ages. Ok it is about 2 seconds but annoying none the less.

sean-278262 19:24 05 Oct 2006

Thank you ade.H for that bit of advice. I just realised thats why I am having the problem due to me rebooting the system and not installing that in firefox. Thanks.

gudgulf 19:24 05 Oct 2006

Firefox click here

AdBlock click here

Filterset G click here

lisa02 19:25 05 Oct 2006

Care to elaborate?

Can you get rid of them?

Thanks ;)

Forum Editor 19:29 05 Oct 2006

We're damned if we do and we're damned if we don't.

No matter how much we try to tailor the site's advertising to accommodate the various complaints we get, you can bet your bottom dollar that there'll always be someone who isn't happy. I'm not picking on you particularly, but we've seen threads like this, or variations on the theme, a thousand times before, and always the answer can be found in the same, blindingly simple equation:-

No advertising + very short space of time = no forum.

gudgulf 19:40 05 Oct 2006

Use Firefox browser....install AdBlock and Filterset G........ no more anoying popups.

Sorry FE but one thing that really annoys me is the auto opening popup..especially when it obscures text.

I have my AOL browser full on ad loaded.IE has popups blocked.Firefox is ad free.

I appreciate you need advertising revenue but surely you have some say in the manner in which these adverts are delivered?

lisa02 19:43 05 Oct 2006

Nah, I don't like FF, was just curious as to how. I use IE and besides they aren't a problem, I don't mind them.

Mr Mistoffelees 20:23 05 Oct 2006

If you use Opera 9, you can disable the Intellitext ads by turning off Javascript in the site preferences.

GaT7 21:27 05 Oct 2006

"If you use Opera 9, you can disable the Intellitext ads by turning off Javascript in the site preferences."

The same can be achieved in Firefox & the NoScript extension click here. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?