Advanced warning of forum maintenance, this Sunday 3 November

Matt Egan 16:08 31 Oct 2013

Hi all - just a bit of advanced warning. This Sunday, 3 November, our data-hosting partner will be installing a Service Pack from 9am. They have promised us it will be done as quickly as possible, and will be completed by no later than 3pm. They've also promised to minimise the impact on the forum. But it is possible that you will experience the login issues we've had on some previous Sundays. We of course apologise for any inconvenience. It is essential maintenance, I'm afraid. The price we pay for being so successful! Thanks for your patience. And if you want to know anything further, or you have any further problems, you know how to find me (either on this forum or at [email protected]).

Thanks again.

Matt

chub_tor 16:39 31 Oct 2013

Thanks for letting us know, now I can take Sunday off.

Forum Editor 18:47 31 Oct 2013

chub_tor

You may find that if you have selected the 'keep me logged in' option you'll be OK, and even if you're not you can still enjoy a quiet browse through the rest of the site.

Aitchbee 20:16 31 Oct 2013

Thanks Matt for that kindly advice. This site is number one in my books... no kiddin'.

bumpkin 21:33 31 Oct 2013

To be informed of what is happening makes all the difference, if we are aware of the situation we can accept that. Not knowing what is going on is far worse.

rdave13 21:35 31 Oct 2013

Ahh good. That will sort out the lack of email notifications then.

bumpkin 22:15 31 Oct 2013

rdave I have explained this before, if you want email notifications make it clear that you do not want them under any circumstances then you will get all of them. Conversely If you don't want them keep asking for them and then you will not get any. Simple really.

rdave13 22:21 31 Oct 2013

bumpkin how's it going with sharing printer on 7?

Forum Editor 22:43 31 Oct 2013

rdave13

"That will sort out the lack of email notifications then

No, it won't. What's going to happen at the weekend concerns our data hosting partner, not our web server. Different aspects of the working of this site are handled in different ways, and on different servers.

The email notification thing is down to us, and most people don't seem to have a problem. I've raised it again with our development team.

rdave13 23:31 31 Oct 2013

Thank you for trying again. Seems I'm not alone as other have this problem.

rdave13 23:36 31 Oct 2013

Forum Editor , went to 'my postings' to try and find a thread starter with my complaint and find that the thread starter's name missing in the question field.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?