ADSL Max trials

CurlyWhirly 22:27 17 Mar 2006

I intend on upgrading to it so that I may possibly be able to get a faster broadband speed than I have now.
I think I know why BT are rolling it out, in preparation for IP TV in the future.

Upgrading around 5300 exchanges as mentioned in click here must be expensive and if there are no plans to charge extra for the faster services then how do BT plan to get their investment back?

This is the link click here where I saw comments that no extra would be charged.

Will unlimited broadband packages (like mine) be scrapped in the future I wonder?

Perhaps BT plan on making ALL their broadband services capped ones?

Chegs ®™ 09:12 18 Mar 2006

By ignoring requests from users to rectify their troubles,which usually stem from BT's poor investment in the infrastructure. :-)

CurlyWhirly 18:02 18 Mar 2006

Poor investment?

I think I read somewhere that BT are ploughing considerable money into broadband now as it has become so popular.

Anyway, I just went to click here abd typed in my telephone line and my status is green.
My exchange has already been upgraded but I will have to wait until the launch date (31/3/06) before I know one way or the other whether I can receive a faster broadband speed.

I don't expect that everyone will be able to be put on the new service on that date so I may have to wait many weeks or even months!

Mr Mistoffelees 18:30 18 Mar 2006

Using your link I see that I should be able to get ADSL Max on the same date. I am fortunate enough to live close to the exchange, line length less than 600M, so I should do well for extra speed.

dmc727 20:57 18 Mar 2006

If the UK has given up on manufacturing and is now leaning on service industries to keep us a float I would have thought we needed to be making much better progress than this new launch.

A 2Mb service in the UK is considered reasonable at the moment – yet in Hong Kong a service of 100Mb is widely available; that is 500 times faster. And is less than the average price we paid for 2MB.

So the BT upgrade is not really cutting edge when viewed globally

CurlyWhirly 21:19 18 Mar 2006

"So the BT upgrade is not really cutting edge when viewed globally"

I agree but these countries are probably using fibre optic networks as opposed to copper wiring which is all we have at the moment.

dmc727 18:01 19 Mar 2006

What BT is currently using when they lay lines for a new housing estate - copper or fibre optics? However, to be honest I’m not sure what the future holds for the best in this technology area.

BT takes a sizable rental fee from millions for providing the wires and it beats me as to where all the money goes. We should be up there with the best in the way of telephone/ broadband infrastructure because of our small island and their monopoly.

CurlyWhirly 19:24 19 Mar 2006

"What BT is currently using when they lay lines for a new housing estate - copper or fibre optics?"

Interesting question.
I would guess copper wiring due to the high cost.

CurlyWhirly 19:27 19 Mar 2006

"We should be up there with the best in the way of telephone/ broadband infrastructure because of our small island and their monopoly."

Totally agree with you there but I think I read an article somewhere that said that upgrading all existing infrastructure (i.e. POTS) is uneconomical for BT to carry out as it would cost many billions of pounds.

dmc727 15:12 20 Mar 2006

Copper wire. Reminds me of the driver who stopped and asked a local for directions to be told. “If I was going there I wouldn’t start from here.”

Chegs ®™ 19:34 20 Mar 2006

Yup...Poor investment.It may cost lots of money to upgrade,but BT are collecting revenues from copper wires.As has been stated,they should be installing upgraded cables to new builds,not copper wires.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache