An Act of Kindness

Graham. 09:51 25 Dec 2010

In case you missed it click here

peter99co 10:22 25 Dec 2010

One good turn deserves another must always be the norm. Pity it's not always the case.

wellshgit 11:14 25 Dec 2010

A really heartwarming story.

spuds 18:14 25 Dec 2010

Not so much a tear jerker, but possibly how the old rail network use to work.

Many years ago we arrived a the rail station in Liverpool, and then rushed to the docks to catch the ferry to Ireland. When we arrived at the docks, the ferry was just pulling away, so we had missed the connection. Back to the rail station, for a possible miserable return home, when we got into conversation with a couple of rail porters/ticket inspectors,who listenened to our mis-fortune.

About ten minutes later,(now very obvious that they had made special checks) they returned suggesting that we could still make the journey, if we were prepared to travel from Liverpool to Holyhead, then we would be able to catch a 3am ferry from there to Ireland, and arrive at about the same time as the Liverpol ferry would arrive. They gave clear instructions as to what midway transfer we would need, so as to make the connection on time.

To us, those two gentlemen were special helpers in disguise, and I wonder if we would have been shown the same compassion and understanding by the rail companies of today?.

As I stated, not so much a tear jerker, but a couple of saviour's in disguise.

Bingalau 19:51 25 Dec 2010

Spuds. just typical "Scousers" really....

spuds 21:35 25 Dec 2010

I know that they saved our bacon that day, because had we been late in reaching Ireland on time, then we may have been in a bit of bother.

If I recall rightly, there was a Chinese eating house near to the rail station, which we had time to grab a quick takeaway, before our train arrived. Wonder if its still there?.

Ho happy days!!.

peter99co 23:48 25 Dec 2010

I had a New Years Eve meal in that Chinese in the 60's and at 12.00 all the steams engines sounded their whistles. Never forget it.

GJC60 23:39 26 Dec 2010

A few years ago just after i got married, we used to travel down to Newton Abbott to visit the wifes parents. From Southampton we had to change at Salisbury for Exeter. Being rather poor at the time we got the cheapest tickets. One night when we boarded the Exeter train it was packed and standing room only. The conductor came round to check our tickets and seeing where we were going, and knowing we would have to stand for over 2 hours told us to go and sit in 1st class. It was just a little act he could of left us to stand for the journey. It often springs to mind, and reminds me that the little acts of kindness can mean so much.

Bingalau 09:26 27 Dec 2010

GJC60. What some of us might call a real "Jobsworth" then?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?